Schwinn High Sierra. 1986?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bike has a bent steerer tube. By zooming in on the above photo you can see it.

View attachment 253868

I will get some better pictures and document my attempt to fix this. This is a bummer as the fork has mounts for the roller brakes. That’s what makes this bike special.

Otherwise, I have been very impressed with the quality of this bike. Fingers crossed.
The bike has a bent steerer tube. By zooming in on the above photo you can see it.

View attachment 253868

I will get some better pictures and document my attempt to fix this. This is a bummer as the fork has mounts for the roller brakes. That’s what makes this bike special.

Otherwise, I have been very impressed with the quality of this bike. Fingers crossed.
The only way to fix this for the long term is to have the fork tube and head tube replaced by a frame maker. They can also do an alignment. This can be super expensive to reasonable. I use Frankenframe. He is hard to get ahold of. Great work reasonable. Specialize in restoration of high end vintage road bikes. Has a customer base of high end collectors. He also paints frames but that is pricy.

Last edited:
Some Schwinn ATB spec's for those interested!
It's a zipped Excel file

The only way to fix this for the long term is to have the fork tube and head tube replaced by a frame maker.

Thanks you and Thank you.

I recently realized I can print pdfs directly from iPhone. Very helpful!

I also just ran into another bent fork on an antique bike.

For the records...
My attempt at bending the High Sierra fork back was only mildly successful. The bike now pulls to the right. I have checked the drop out alignment to the best of my ability.

It is rideable but it is extremely obvious the bike is pulling right. You couldn’t ride without hands.

I actually bought a new fork on eBay. It has cantilever brakes , which will take away from the originality. But, I refuse to let a bike out of my shop that isn’t mechanically sound. (Maybe that’s why I have so many bikes)

IMG_4467.jpeg

New fork
Need to trim 30mm off the steerer tube

Should I paint it?

I was able to temporarily install the new fork without trimming it.

The bike still pulled to the right.

I re-examined everything and found the rear wheel was out of dish by about 2mm. I dished the wheel and the bike now rides straight! Hard to believe that 2mm would make that much difference.

I still need to put the original forks back on. Fingers crossed. I will be thrilled if it rides straight with original forks.

Always learning.

Put the original fork back on. Wow! I guess I forgot how bad it pulled to the right. This fork is toast.

I will now trim the new fork, re-instal, take a final photo, and move on with my life.

The one I have. The stem came from a broken Lotus Pegasus I had. The only other brakes that'll swap are Ubrakes. I kinda wanted another to put Ubrakes on and modernize it a bit more and keep this on a bit more vintage.
IMG_20210710_173749_674.jpg

I actually got the original fork straightened. I took it to a LBS in Richmond Va. https://itswheelsimple.com/

Robbie, the owner, was great. He has been building frames and forks and was able to straighten it while I waited. Great local shop and I highly recommend if you are in the area.

Rides like a dream now. Has sealed bearings in the hubs and you can tell a difference when you ride! I will sell eventually, but for now this what I ride the most.

High_Sierra1.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back