Schwinn Hendersons

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall, just wondering what is the difference between a Schwinn and a Schwinn Henderson. Were the Hendersons made somewhere other than Chicago, or were they a special model Schwinn, or...?? I recently bought a men's 26" Henderson and I'm just curious about it. Thanks for any help.

Flamer said:
Hey yall, just wondering what is the difference between a Schwinn and a Schwinn Henderson. Were the Hendersons made somewhere other than Chicago, or were they a special model Schwinn, or...?? I recently bought a men's 26" Henderson and I'm just curious about it. Thanks for any help.

the badging can vary with the dealers, distributor, etc....you can see the same schwinn badged with any number of logos- to the collectors delight! search 'schwinn badge' on ebay and see all the cool ones that can show up. :D henderson's are among the neatest imho and one will be on my rrbbo bike. 'american beauty' and 'mission' seem to be among the more valuable, 'ace' badges are very cool and always bring a premium. 'american flyer', from louisville cycle supply are very common nos for some reason....

Thanks Bendix, I've noticed that Henderson is painted on the downtube also and it is straight, unlike most of the Schwinns I've seen that have a curvy downtube. I'd like to know what year it could be so I'll try to post some pictures tomm. I've tried looking up Schwinn Hendersons all over the net and haven't seen another one like it.

Do a search for Henderson Motorcycle Co. Bad to the bone 4 cylinder motorcycles. That company and Excelsior Motorcycle Co. were bought out by Ignaz Schwinn back in the teens or twenties. Schwinn also made motorcycles at that time. After one of Schwinn's race team drivers was killed, old Ignaz decided to stick with pedals and forget the motors. He closed Henderson and Excelsior and discontinued Schwinn motorcycles. After that, the only Henderson or Excelsior badges you saw were on Schwinn built bicycles. This also allowed Indian and Harley Davidson to corner the motorcycle market. Gary

B607 said:
...That company and Excelsior Motorcycle Co. were bought out by Ignaz Schwinn back in the teens or twenties....

I'm thinking it was 1911, yet Excelsior carried on for several years doing their own thing, then Schwinn completed a more thorough blending of the brands.

Hey guys here's my bike, it had the original tires and wheels when I bought it but I've put some new tires/tubes on it and laced up a new rim to the old Morrow hub. I also snapped the chain when riding to school, so if anyone has a skiptooth chain for a reasonable price I'd be interested. Anyway maybe you can tell me what year it might be...
MattsHenderson001.jpg

if you are riding that bike to school, dont plan on owning it for very long. It will get stolen. those frames are getting rare especially because of people cutting them up(like on this site).

Well when I say school I mean the university I work at, so don't worry I keep it locked up tight inside the building 8) , this bike also has the locking forks which I failed to mention earlier. The key is actually broken off in the lock, but I may try to pull it out and have another one made.

oh good, I was thinking something different. there is a guy out of memorylanebikes that does the keys for the locking forks, ive been pretty lucky not needing his services.

Back