Schwinn Head Badge question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a rattle canned Schwinn that I can easily chip the spray off the old headbadge with my thumbnail. The badge appears to be riveted of some sort not screwed on like later Schwinns I've owned. Is this normal or did somebody do this later on ? I'd hate to drill the rivets off risking damage to the badge but If that's the only way I'll do it. Any thoughts ?
hdbadge1.jpg

on my hawthorne i was able to go from the inside and push the rivet out with a large flat tip screw driver, then i was able to reuse the rivets after painting, i would try that first.

They might be screws. First, make sure that the screw slots aren't painted over.

If they are rivets, they can be pushed out from inside the tube easily, like sloar said. When I pop rivets out, I put a piece of tape over the head so that the rivets don't go bouncing around the shop floor.

If you do have to 'drill them out' make a cereal box template with the right size hole for the rivet head to tape on the badge. Any skip will be caught by the cardboard. I use my Dremel with a small burr to divot the head for center and use as short a stubby drill bit as possible so it is rigid and wont want to wander.Brace up under the drill from the headtube with your support hand to control the downpressure and let the bit do the work, not your downpressure on the drill. Go as straight as you can and go slower as you get closer to the rivet head to separate from the shank. If the drill seems to want to go off center while drilling, use the Dremel/burr to 'move' the hole back to center so the drill bit can follow it.

Back