Schwinn HD road side freebie Gulf Bike Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The chain guard is in rough condition but I'm thinking I could maybe fix it up later or just find another one. I don't think the tabs will bother me much. Dunno.

One blue hoop. Already painted the spokes white. Not sure if I'm gonna paint the lugs orange or just leave them white. Duro orange wall tires are gonna be a must also.
e7amequz.jpg
y5esa6av.jpg

Needing some paint advise before I get much farther. Is it necessary to wet sand the base coat before applying lacquer? The forks are looking fantastic just with two coats of base. I would really hate to wet sand this great finish. If it's necessary then I guess I got to do it. I'm no painter so I'm not sure. I'm great with a rattle can but I know nothing about putting down lacquer. Thanks in advance for any tips.

I don't know about the paint, if it is looking that good, I would be tempted to stop right there, rather than risk a reaction or losing the finish... Other people will know more than me though...

Luke.

If its coming out this clean, I would just give it some flash time (in between coats) about 15-20 min and then apply your clear coat.. No sanding cuz paint is fresh and you will still have a chemical bond..I would just take a tack rag and wipe it down for lint and dirt before clear coating.. Good Luck.

Well no real progress this weekend. Went camping with the kids. I did experiment on the forks with a darker blue pinstripe between the two colors. Don't like it at all so I'm gonna have to sand some of that out and try and go over it with black. A little more progress on the wheels. I have to touch one of them up just a little and I will post a couple pics. Really upset about the blue pinstripe though. The rest of the bike will just have black vinyl pinstripes between the colors. Frame is sanded but I still have to get the tank plate mounting tabs welded to it so no paint on the frame yet.

Well the cruiser is looking better than what it was.. I will be peeking in from time to time to see how its coming..

LukeTheJoker said:
Got the stickers and grips for my build Al!

10395976846_4df6d3da80_z.jpg

Really happy with the match to the seat vinyl! :D

Looking forward to seeing more on yours, hope your pinstripe issue ends up working!

Luke.
That is some Kool stuff there Luke..I like the RatRod AllStall stickers..Very Kool.!!!

Dig it man. That bike is gonna be sick. I won't make decision on seat or grips till I see the bike painted and sitting on tires. Just can't envision the total bike yet. But this is my first one so I'm still a newbie.

Alsfelt said:
Dig it man. That bike is gonna be sick. I won't make decision on seat or grips till I see the bike painted and sitting on tires. Just can't envision the total bike yet. But this is my first one so I'm still a newbie.
Completely understand! :wink: Cant wait to see it though!

Araya51 said:
I like the RatRod AllStall stickers..Very Kool.!!!
Yeah, those are too cool! Those two are part of the prize for the winner of the muscle bike build-off that is happening at the moment! Hoping I can keep it going and offer them as prizes in future build-offs too! :wink:

Luke.

Some progress this morning. Too bad I gotta go to work. Lol.
Tank plate mounting tabs welded and primed. Plates cut out. Not sure if I will use these or go with a heavier gauge sheet metal.
And one wheel getting close to completion.
ehedurub.jpg
amejasy2.jpg
sesete8u.jpg
a5yzypa6.jpg

LukeTheJoker said:
That wheel looks amazing!

Luke.
Thanks man. I have to touch up the spokes and it should be done. The tank plates are not gonna do it for me. I'm going with plexiglass or plastic. It's just easier to work with and will stay straight. Just glad the frame is close to getting paint now. The other wheel is just about ready to paint the hoop. Didn't think that rebuilding a bicycle would be this much work but I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Can someone change my thread and put it in the build section? It's not so fresh of a find anymore.

Back