Schwinn for my wife..Need help on the year!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this yesterday. Vin D18464. From the research I have done I think it's a 1948. Then again I could be way off! I am looking for a tank for it too.

photo2-4.jpg

photo1-4.jpg
photo-9.jpg

If the number is on the bottom bracket, it would seem to match up for 1948, but the number is too high, they would have made 90,000 bikes in a couple of days going by the sequence. If the serial number is on the dropout, it was made in Dec 53. Looks like a Hornet chainguard.

serial numbers D04962 through D20329 if located on the rear dropout date this to 8/1- 8/4 of 1952.
If the number is under the crank housing then it gets foggy due to the fire in 1948.Known 1948 serial numbers begin with D92598 and end a month later starting the EXXXXXX .

On the note of the post above it is fair to mention that 1953 does show this (12/01 to 12/17 ------- D00001 ------------------ D20266 1953) also.???

I have a funny feeling the 52-53 serial number issue is due to 1952 serial numbers possibly being located under the crank housing but the chart I use only specifies 1952 having them on the dropout.

With the 48-52 serial numbers using letters in sequence, it would make sense to predate the list by backing up the alphabet, that would make yours an early 48 maybe. But no one has compiled a working list, and there are a lot of schwinn nuts out there, so maybe the sequence isn't that easy. I just remembered one more way of checking, and that's the cranks. In the middle portion, there may be a 2 digit date stamp, many Schwinns have it, it's the last 2 digits of the year. But you have to take them out to see that. If you're going to redo the bearings, probably just a cleaning and grease on that women's bike, you can check the year. Also, is there a name on the chainguard?

The bike has drop center rims. If they are original, that would push the date back into the late 40's before they had S2 flattop rims. The badge and neck are correct for a late 40's or even a 50's bike. They used that neck on girls bikes but never on 26" boys bikes. Gary

Latest posts

Back