Schwinn Excelsior

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another day another find. I told myself no more girls bikes, but i couldnt say no when i came across this one!! my first Excelsior!!
Image-47.jpg

I have no idea how old this thing is. it is not a skip tooth, but i do not know the full time period that schwinn manufactured bikes with the excelsior name on them. i got the serial number off of it and it is as follows. D1131, then below that the other number reads E48958.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!!

looks like i may have answered my own question, from what i have read it looks like it was made in the fall of 1948.

yeah it was a pleasant surprise seeing the condition of the bike! it came with some sweet goodyear 26x2.125 tires that i WISH were in good condition! I have been looking and looking and cant find the value of it, or even a ball park. i think im going to keep it but i am still curious.

Gave her a quick bath, through some tires i had laying around on and took her for a ride on the local bike path tonight.
Image-49.jpg

honestly all i used was a little soap and water on the paint, some super fine steel wool here and there on the chrome. does anyone know if you are still able to get goodyear rubbers for it?

thanks alot for the link!! very helpful!! also the tubes that were in the tires looked alot bigger than the ones i had bought. but the ones i bought were the el cheapo bells from wal mart that are a 26" universal fit up to a 26x2.125, well long story short i popped it and about pooped!! maybe i need to get some tubes that are strictly 26x2.125??

Back