Schwinn Convertible ...SEX CHANGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started painting the tank halves today. Prior to this picture, I primed them and applied Metal Masters rust paint before top coating it. I was running out of daylight to get the top coat on, so I didn't get a picture of the primer stage.

You can see the rust paint under the top coat. The idea is to have the rust emerge from under the paint just as it would naturally on vintage metal.

More to come.
Tanks%20green%20paint_zpsqphxqlvt.jpg

hmmmm....that tank idea is intriguing. And I do have that Spaceliner guarding my fire pit patio in the BACK40.....Maybe once the building is set up and finished off on the inside I will have to explore that idea. Prob be Apr or May....

I started painting the tank halves today. Prior to this picture, I primed them and applied Metal Masters rust paint before top coating it. I was running out of daylight to get the top coat on, so I didn't get a picture of the primer stage.

You can see the rust paint under the top coat. The idea is to have the rust emerge from under the paint just as it would naturally on vintage metal.

More to come.
Tanks%20green%20paint_zpsqphxqlvt.jpg
This is going to be awesome with the rust coming through the paint!
:praise:

Luke.

hmmmm....that tank idea is intriguing. And I do have that Spaceliner guarding my fire pit patio in the BACK40.....Maybe once the building is set up and finished off on the inside I will have to explore that idea. Prob be Apr or May....
Cool, it's ready when you are!
Great job, are you building it up with balloon tire wheels, tires fenders; or midweight
Ballooner. I was thinking about trying those red tires that I bought from you. Do you think they will fit on the Schwinn rims?
This is going to be awesome with the rust coming through the paint!
:praise:

Luke.
I hope so, I'm making this stuff up as I go along.:21:

I love the patinas you come up with.
Thanks! I really enjoy the challenge. Plus I don't have to worry about scratching the new paint.:21:

Here's the last bit of the graphic scheme masked off.
Tanks%20stripe%20mask_zpspvqfcggm.jpg

The patina is not completely finished, but I couldn't wait to see how it looks as a roller!

The graphics are laid out to echo the fender graphics for continuity.
tank%20painted%20mounted_zpstwxffbi3.jpg

For comparison, here's the before shot.
1336-1447635008-565c6db7693d42d7b858b0dcbbffdd58.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm really liking the look on this frame!

Tyler, I agree with the whitewalls, but if the blackwalls where fatter than the original 1.75 Schwinn tires that are in the photo, it might look pretty good. I also thought about trying some 2.35 creme Fat Franks on it.

Every time I see this I tell myself to get off my rear and finish mine, but then I realize I need a painted frame for the tank I have and I need another tank for the chrome frame I have.
Ill get another tank in a few weeks. Ahhhh tax refunds, a little savings account for bike parts.

This might be your sweetest implementation yet...and THAT'S saying something.
I'm with you on that! After seeing it start to come together, the more I like it!

This frame and the balloon fenders really bring out the art deco look that I love. I also really like the negative space between the frame and tank. It has an atomic era 1950's kidney bean shape to it.:cool2:
Something like this...
93f32318c9ad9e262df86af62bec62f5.jpg

Love how it's an echo of the fender. Good eye.
Thanks! I played with several design ques from the bike and decided on this one. It just seem to work best.
Skills. That is all.
...and luck! A Schwinn frame was not on my radar when I designed the tanks!
Every time I see this I tell myself to get off my rear and finish mine, but then I realize I need a painted frame for the tank I have and I need another tank for the chrome frame I have.
Ill get another tank in a few weeks. Ahhhh tax refunds, a little savings account for bike parts.
Your's is ready to ship whenever you say the word! Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Found me one today.

c59f08ce341700c6334d11819b83ca33.jpg
Sweet! All that bike needs is a chain guard and a convertible tank! :thumbsup: Even the dentist in the back likes it.:21:

Back