Schwinn chain guard decal advice anyone?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im bout to slap mine on after finally having my guard powder coated, only the Water decal is long! It's for a '63 typhoon. Anyone done it before, have any advice? Don't want to screw it up as its pretty long in length.

Water slide or vinyl ? Either way I think it helps to cut the words / graphics out into separate pieces and stick them on one at a time. I think it looks cleaner if you trim the water slides down and get rid of as much of the clear field as you can but it not exactly how schwinn did it back in the day. Typhoons had the funky bottom stripe that could be tricky to get just right so i would try to get that positioned first myself. Good luck !!

One thing that really helps is to mount the chain guard (protected with shop rag or piece of leather) into a bench vise so it is secure and you can use both hands to work the decal into place.

Frankthetank said:
Water slide I believe

I usually clean the part first real good, then wipe it with a wet rag, dunk the decal under water for about 10 seconds, then pull it out and let it sit for about a minute. I usually keep my finger tips wet when your sliding it onto the part and drip water on the decal if it looks like it is getting too dry. always "pull" the decal into place but be careful it doesn't tear, pushing it usually makes it wad up right before you get it wear you want it. you can usually slide it around for a minute or so before it starts to dry in place. If you need to move it after that drip more water on it and get your finger tips wet again and gently try to move it. If it doesnt want to move be careful.

Yeah Schwinn CGs were actually screen printed so you didn't get that clear field. I've done a couple and I think both tore; very delicate little guys when they're long and skinny like that. I like using a Q-tip to adjust it and work the excess water out once it's placed.

I was able to get it on though it ripped in three spots due to it being so large but it looks good. You can't really tell unless you stare at it. I just said screw it and went for it like I did with the rest of the decals on frame/fork.

securedownload1.jpg

Back