Schwinn Cantilever- Lazy 48Hr Makeover

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I picked this relic up from Craigslist Thursday because I recognized some familiar and interesting parts under those 5 layers of paint.
I dated the bike as a April '79. DQXXXXXXX. I didn't think the rack was used that recently.
It came with set of S-7s Bendix Coasters with heavy duty spokes that are also painted multi tone, so I put on a 26' HD Bendix HD wheelset that came from a '70s CCM tandem that I had.
Clean up went a little quick and I missed finding any decals indicating the model.
I can tell you that it rides like a Schwinn though, as I was out on it a lot on Sunday grabbing some pictures.
All the brite work cleaned up well, but the fenders have a couple of dents that need tending to.

Very cool makeover... looks really good. Is it bare metal finish (cant quite see on me phone)?

Thanks. It is in bare metal that has been cleared.
I wish I kept more of the original yellow and red paint, but there are still hints of it here and there.

I'd bet a dollar to a donut that you have a Heavy-Duty. A '79 middleweight with heavy spokes...couldn't be anything else. Gary

The tires are 1.95 Kendas indeed.
Thanks for the Heavy Duty vote. I figured the wheels were HD, wasn't sure on the blade fork and rack.
I called it a lazy makeover because I'm strapped for time/space right now and didn't have the time for proper multi coat paint job etc.
I tried a rear 24" Fattio while I searched for the keys to get the wheels from another bike, but of course it was too fat.
The Kenda on front would have been a good match with the Fattio on back.

Nice makeover! Reminds me of the 63 Schwinn Corvette I recently picked up. If you don't mind me asking, did you use paint stripper to remove the old paint or did you sand it. The bare metal looks great.

Thanks for the oven cleaner tip, I visited the link to your build and like the results.
I'll try it on a future project or part.
The original rims cleaned up easily enough, but they still need a few spokes, truing and tires.

Back