Schwinn bottom bracket question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if an old 60s schwinn cruiser bottom bracket is schwinn specific? I called a few diff bike shops in the area, 2 wanted $15-20 while one said $6. One of the more expensive said it was schwinn specific or something like that leading me to believe only certain type will fit schwinn, is this correct?

I assume you mean the crank; I'm not sure that the term bottom bracket is used commonly for one-piece cranksets like it is for three-piece designs.

Anyway, yes, Schwinn had a specific crank. The threading is 1"x28 instead of the usual 24 TPI. They, of course, have a specific bearing cone set that works with a specific bearing and a specific bearing cup. Fortunately, the cup press diameter should be common sized with everything else, so you can change the crank to a non-Schwinn - if you change the whole system.

The Schwinn bottom bracket (yes, it's called a bottom bracket) set is indeed 28tpi threading.

24tpi is more common, used on most one piece cranks, and undoubtedly is the 'cheapo' set you were quoted.

28tpi is ALSO used on higher end 'old school' bmx cranks and BBs. The bottom bracket sets available in 28tpi are better quality, usually Tange. Not exactly 'Schwinn specific' but 'Schwinn compatible'...At least they knew there was a difference- I'd shop at that place!

Old Schwinn BBs are very good quality and usually last and last. Good used ones show up on on Ebay. :wink:

__ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

FWIW, the new 28tpi Tange BB, even though it's the same thread as old school bmx, usually won't fit an old school Sugino crank, but the Schwinn parts will. For some reason they won't 'make the turn' on that particular one piece crank and the first threads can't start... :?

Back