Schwinn blade-fork with a drum brake? Possible or suicidal?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an early 60's Schwinn I plan on building as a ratrod/rider sort of project shortly. It has a flat-blade steel fork on the front of it and I was wondering what the compatibility for brakes would be on it? There are currently none mounted on it, as the bike came with a coaster brake originally and is currently incomplete. The forks seem to be intact just a little surface-rusted (the whole chassis is ratty really).

I am a big guy around 240lbs and I have an affinity for drum brakes. Can I run a drum brake on this bike or will the braking force be too much for this fork to handle?

I've searched on here and google and found little discussion of this question, which I'm taking as a bad sign. I can use calipers on it, I just love the look of a front drum. Anybody have any thoughts?

I dont' see any more of a problem than running a caliper brake. Most of your force will be at the forkcrown/steertube connection. You should be able to see the fork bend back at this point after few rides. Your test may be your own best answer.

Thanks man. You're right, you never know until you try. I ask just because I've heard they're rather flexible from side to side so I wasn't sure about loading up one fork leg with brake force. I appreciate the fast response!

im with Cman up there, those forks are about as strong as they get, but the neck is a whole other story. id say for added support, looks, and security, why not try building a truss rod? it will counter the pressure of the brake drum pulling on the fork and usually look pretty cool

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Schwinn sold some bikes with blade forks with hub brakes. In any case, those forks can be deflected sideways, but they are plenty strong in the travel plane (front to back). I have bent the frame in a wreck without damaging the fork at all.

Those last 2 posts have answered my question completely. Thank you much! I'll be starting the build hopefully sooner than later. I'm glad you showed me that pic because I definitely want to use the correct fork.

deorman said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Schwinn sold some bikes with blade forks with hub brakes. In any case, those forks can be deflected sideways, but they are plenty strong in the travel plane (front to back). I have bent the frame in a wreck without damaging the fork at all.

Your right some Phantoms used drum fronts, youll be fine. I got a fastback I put drum hubs front and rear on and it has no issues at all, stops on a dime!

Back