"Schwing" Street Skinny

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTX

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have not done so already,ask your FLBS...Friendly Local Bike Shop,to call you when they have any bikes that are not going to be picked up.They get lots of customers who drop a bike off,then get the news it's too much to fix,parts are not avail.,or they are just abandoned.All of the ones I have gotten were headed to the dumpster.Most shops don't try to sell them.

Attention!!!
This only works if you buy parts from the shop,and you pick up whatever they call about...If you turn them down,they will not call again.I don't care if it's a tricycle,pick it up and put it on the curb at home if you cannot use it.
It works the same way with take-off parts.Most shops have a bin full of used seats,bars,pedals,etc...If they are willing to give them to you,or sell cheap,don't turn your nose up at the parts.Take them and ask them to save whatever items interest you.I have gotten new Specialized and Trek seats,stems and bars that were taken off to customize a customers bike.Most were free,or $5.
IMGP7713.JPG

IMGP7714.JPG

This bike,"Schwing",is being built from parts from the local bike shop,"Chain Reaction",in Prattville,AL. They are "Rat Friendly"!
The frame was free...a 70's Schwinn 5-speed made in USA! No one picked it up,so in the truck it went.
The crank set,wheels and tires are off a ladies English bike headed to the dumpster.The rear is a 3-Speed in ternal hub,tires are new Bontragers that were on it.
I had to buy an Origin 8 American to Euro bottom bracket adapter to install the Englich crank,but it was worth the $16 to have the cool chrome set on the bike to match the rear wheel...Bars are Trekking bars.

Back