SCHOOL'D!!! (Trax 4k, STARTED A YEAR AGO TODAY! )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as some of you know i am 12 and go to school-whoo-hoo. Since we just moved, i sold my commuter bike and basicly any bike that wasnt at least 40 years old. Well school starts in 6 weeks so i need a bike to ride. you know what that means.KLUNKER TIME!!!

So I started off with a 24'' Hawthrone Boys bike-color is perfect! It was purple, but its blackend in some spots and a very flat color. I aslo had a manga mountain bike and this is were i am at:

DSCN3909.jpg

Enjoy the progress!
Sam

Re: SCHOOL'D!!!

Since this frame was outfitted for a single speed coaster rear wheel, i cant go with a multi-speed one. So i am just using the main sprocket and its 3 speed set up. Do do this, i had to use the chain shifter thingy. When putting it on, it was to lose. So wraped some duct tape around the tube and Ta-Da! it stays. I call that ratrod :D

DSCN3910.jpg

Next, i need to mount the shifter. Well the index shifter on the Manga's bars are just hopeless, someone tried to remove them and the bolts are stripeed. What can you expect from a goodwill bike :D. Whatever. I was thinking thumb shifter...

Sam

Did you school yourself mounting the crank on the wrong side or you just being different and running it on the opposite side?

The picture is in negative mode, it just looks that way. See the words backward on the trashcan? That's what I think.

Re: SCHOOL'D!!! (score!)

those bars are friggin cool as heck!

vvvvvthats me green with envy.vvvvv
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You'd better have a good lock! :mrgreen: You need some HVAC metal tape from the hardware store for stuff like that derailleur mount. :wink: Hope you're not planning to use the coaster brake with that. :?

deorman said:
You'd better have a good lock! :mrgreen: You need some HVAC metal tape from the hardware store for stuff like that derailleur mount. :wink: Hope you're not planning to use the coaster brake with that. :?
Nope I'm using a freewheel. I plan on actully ditching the derailleur and getting this Dana 3 speed shift. Goole it :D

Sam

weekend-fun said:
deorman said:
Nope I'm using a freewheel. I plan on actully ditching the derailleur and getting this Dana 3 speed shift. Goole it :D

Sam

If you do end up running the derailleur afterall, there are special, cheap rubber shims (really just a shouldered strip) that would work much better than duct tape. It's what they are made for, and any bike shop should be able to get a few. Very cool bike, good to see another "kid" into this stuff. :wink:

Hi

I use strips of alloy from Coke cans for very thin shims,

Can even trim it to shape with scissors if needed,

Good looking project you`ve got there :D

Cheers
Adrian

Back