SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The aluminum wheel works better with the aluminum discs. I'm assuming that you'll be changing out the rear also.:cool2:

How was the ride? I remember when I rode it in Cleveland lat year, it had a real unique feel to it. The sprung rear triangle gives it a different feel than a normal frame.

Yeah, I'll be replacing the rear wheel too. I remember finding the build pics that Josh had of this wheelset and I loved the paint and rust patina on them. I knew I wanted to uncover them and save them for another build someday. I also have a SRAM Automatix on it's way that I want to lace up to to an alloy rear rim.

I describe the ride above. Most of the time when you are riding you don't really notice a difference, but like I said when you wiggle the steering, it has a bit of a wobbly effect. Not quite squirrelly or unstable, but different for sure.

Gots to find me some fountains!!! :) :rofl: predictable!!! But still cool! :cool2:

Bike looks good, you are way ahead of me. :20:

Naw man, you've but a ton of custom work into your build so far. Loving the fork and the frame came out great.

That bike is almost painfully beautiful.

I tell you, KF, half of the beauty (and that's no small amount,) is your great photography. People should pay attention when it comes time to post their final entry shots. Composition can make such a huge impression on the voter. B. E. A. Utiful!

It also helps to be someplace with such photogenic scenery, but that bike would look good in front of a waste treatment plant.

Is that a brushed aluminum finish...or is it to be painted?
Nice Bike...Love it
:thumbsup:
Love Forsyth Park too...I have pics of me there, but not with a bike...with ex GF..lol ;)

Silver King frames are just Duralium (aluminum). Nothing brushed or painted on them. Many times people will polish them up to a chrome like mirror finish. This one had some level of polishing a couple of years ago. I haven't decided if I will polish it more or not yet.

I tell you, KF, half of the beauty (and that's no small amount,) is your great photography. People should pay attention when it comes time to post their final entry shots. Composition can make such a huge impression on the voter. B. E. A. Utiful!

It also helps to be someplace with such photogenic scenery, but that bike would look good in front of a waste treatment plant.

Thanks SKJohn. I do happen to live in the heart of one of the most scenic towns in America, so for any given ride there are photo ops at every turn.

Looks great!! The Silverking frames are "loose" when pulling on the bars because of the light aluminum materials and frame design. When I had my Silverking Rat built up with a Schwinn springer and 26" wheels, it rode soft, but I liked the feeling of it smoothing things out under my weight with a springer seat like yours.... Unfortunately, after liking it too much, I broke the top tube and sold it for repair. The two speed auto is a great choice btw. You are lucky to have one of those cool rides. Too bad they didn't make it in thinwall steel..Ride it gently KF..

Last edited:
Gonna test out an idea I had. As I pointed out before, a small strip of rim shows between the moonies and the tires. Painted up a scrap rim to test how a redline might look there.

20160521_144303.jpg

That red as an accent should work nicely, especially if you plan red grips and seat!

It would be a fairly thin strip of color. About 3/8" . I was thinking it may give a similar vibe as the old redline tires

20160521_151110.jpg

I may go with a duller red too. I just want it to be a subtle accent

Back