Salt Flat Speedster...SHES ALL FINISHED!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so for about the last 2-3 weeks i have had an idea for the socal speedster...until i realized while searching, that someone had already had the same darn idea!! oh well...ill just change it up a little! the first pic is a little inspiration!!!

Speedweek.jpg

the second pic is my old schwinn ill be starting with. i have a larger chain wheel, different grips and seat, thinkin a 26 inch rear with a 700 or 28 inch front with a skinny slick...i think it will be cool. not sure on bars yet, straight bars maybe, or some drop bars? need some input. color will be like the car in the pic basically, silver frame, black fork, crank, bars, etc, red rims...should be cool!

DSC00390.jpg

Re: Salt Flat Speedster

You can't go wrong with that kind of inspiration!
Yep, Somebody already started a So-Cal build. But So-Cal wasn't the only speedshop that had cars on the salt! :wink: Love that frame/fork combination. That drop is supercool. I' think a narow straightbar will suit your idea real fine. One thing I don't get is the urge to put a bigger wheel upfront rather than in the back. More so when you have hotrods as your inspiration... But that's just me I guess. :oops: :wink:
But I really do think a skinny 26" wheel will look better....

Anyway, welcome in the build off.
Good luck, and have fun!

I am partial to flat bars. or maybe some 1.5-2 inch mountain bike riser bar fliped over. Likin the front end.

Skrufryder said:
I am partial to flat bars. or maybe some 1.5-2 inch mountain bike riser bar fliped over. Likin the front end.
yup. they look and work great. have a pair on the orange bike. (Krush) theyre wrapped in electrical tape. black and white, and are very light. :D love the front end

Im the one doing the socal speedster. I have no issues if you want to do one also. Even though the theme is similar our approach is very different. So if you want to do one too I think it would be great to see 2 interpretations of a theme.

lol, yeah, i had the idea a few weeks ago and thought how cool i was...lol! but thanks, i think it wil be cool to see two versions, yours looks a little fancier than mine tho! got most of the parts, startin to paint tomorrow... :D

Re: Salt Flat Speedster (parts pics...input please!)

ok, got a bunch of the parts today! i really dig this bar/stem/light combo, i think it will be perfect!!
DSC00391.jpg

now for the front spring, had this fishin rod holder layin around, should make a sweet heavy duty spring!
DSC00392.jpg

little nip/tuck and...viola!!!...springer baby!! now, should i paint the front spring perch matte-black or leave it dirty...?
DSC00393.jpg

now, my input needed section...should i paint the chainwheel a nice matte-black, or stick with the worn out patina...?
DSC00394.jpg

im also thinkin of using the monark front plate thingy...for aerodynamics...and cause its cool!!

DSC00396.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

Re: Salt Flat Speedster (parts update!! input needed)

ok, so i got it all mocked up, think im gonna run a larger rear tire maybe? and definatly think i need some shorter crank arms!!! and i htink im gonna paint the front copper supports black as well...?

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

Re: Salt Flat Speedster Mock-up!!

My vote is to leave the copper raw, since I doubt it really has any structural strength, you might as well leave it raw for the statement.

WOW...We think alike!....You'll need 5 1/2 (maybe 6 inch) cranks with that fork. I LIKE it!

Re: Salt Flat Speedster (parts update!! input needed)

tatman said:
ok, so i got it all mocked up, think im gonna run a larger rear tire maybe? and definatly think i need some shorter crank arms!!! and i htink im gonna paint the front copper supports black as well...?

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00397.jpg
Schucks, if you are just going to paint them black i'd trade you the supports from mine except it looks like yours is a bent fork, which i am guessing has shorter supports than a standard stance springer? I would definitely rock the copper.

those copper supports werent anything to build!! some 1/2 inch copper pipe from the depot, cut to length, crimp in vise, drill holes...DONE! it really wasbt hard to do, and they are every bit as strong when installed as the stock supports.

tatman said:
those copper supports werent anything to build!! some 1/2 inch copper pipe from the depot, cut to length, crimp in vise, drill holes...DONE! it really wasbt hard to do, and they are every bit as strong when installed as the stock supports.

That's what I thought.
THe bike is looking really cool. Have tried mounting the headlight on a lower spot? Like mounted on the springer? Would love to see How that'll look... 8)

tatman said:
Wow, i never would have thought of that! It looks sweet. I will definitely be doing that when i get some spare bucks for the copper.

well...i think ive done all i can do to her. i opted out of the head light, cause race bikes don need no stinkin headlights!!! well, tell me what you think!!!

DSC00421.jpg

DSC00422.jpg

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

I think you've done great. You seem to know what it's all about here on RRB.COM, and I don't know if you could do anything else to make it 'better'. This bike has the overall look, the right stance, some funky ratrod details like the speedometer and the copper struts. And I absolutly love your chalkboard tankplate. Very racey. 8)

Congrats on finishing in such an early stage of the contest. Hope you don't get bored anytime soon!
Remember: You're allowed to change frames 1 time... :wink:

Second finished bike thread I've looked at in the past couple minutes... y'all are making me feel like you know something I don't, like maybe a truncated build off end date. :?

Back