"Salor Dutch" Lives!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you people are like school teachers on here! LoL. So I posted My Intro and finaly found some time to post pics of my latest build, "Sailor Dutch". I just got 1st place and Best in Show for this bike at the 3rd anual "Venice Beach Custom Bike Show". For those that don't know, that's in Los Angeles. I'm proud to say that out of hundreds of shiny painted, gold & crome plated, hydrolic leaking, turn table spinning, built in some fancy Customizing Shop by some one else & for too much money, bicycles.......my "BackYard Rat" stole the show. But don't be fooled, this bike was on the cutting board for months and in my head for 2 years. The bike consists of a 1936 'Elgin' frame, crank & skiptooth, a early 40's 'Columbia' sringer, late 40's 'Monark' fenders, Pre-War 'Ace Hardware' (Schwinn) wheels, 60's 'Wald' rams horn style bars, A-OOga! horn, 'One Shot' can headlight, custom metal "Flying Eye" ornament, vintage Paperboy rack (care of Mike's Bike Shop window), and a sweet craftsmen box from the mid 30's which is now my new striping kit. The graphics on the Center Plate started with actual newsprint from 1938 that I found stuffed down inside the box. Then it was cut into a careful collage, then aged, sprinkled with some Sailor Jerry flash, aged again, then hand lettered with the combined trade marks of two of the most influential artists of all time. Few! This is getting lengthy. A custom patina was aplied with several shades of red & black enamel, brown primer, with intentional grease marks and chipping in spots. Scallops were freehand masked and are awaiting some "Dutch" style striping(I'm too busy right now). Fact of the matter is, I got a lil' burned out and took a break from it. Just changed the seat (not in pics) to a rusted out Pre-War pan. Hope you enjoy these. Now, enough typing! I'm out!
sailordutchlives.jpg

rearbox.jpg

openbox.jpg

horn.jpg

plate.jpg

dutchawaits.jpg

Very nice. Very very nice. How did you get the coke symbol one there did you paint it?

YOU WIN AT BIKES !!!

i know there was a link on here somewhere that had some more pics of your bike too, cant forget it :mrgreen:

WOW!...........I think we should take a vote and "BAN" you from ALL future build offs! :lol: (just kidding)

Outstanding combination of parts! The scallops on thos e big ol' Monark fenders looks bad azz. Hope you don't mind if I use that combo in the future, :wink: Lots of work done with a huge amount of forethought ~ and it shows! Here, Here!

Joe

usually i cant stand to see something dutch. the whole fashion world has totally crushed his name, but this bike, oh man, is great. its really truly a weird bike, i agree, ole howard would totally have this parked outside his bus, great work man. great work!

I bought a very similar frame a couple weeks back and was planning on painting it primer brown. Now I'm too scared..... :oops:

Honestly, that is one of the top 3 coolest bikes I've seen here.

the whole display around your bike was.. honestly the best there. the chrome hydro mafia and the "unrideables" were a little too silly for us. we stopped to talk to our friend scharf. we sadly didnt bring our bikes that day

Someone asked if I do Pin Striping, the answer is yes. If your in the L.A. area hit me up, I'd love to throw some lines down on some bikes, take a ride, get a bite, maybe a few drinks. Ha Ha! I'm easy to find: EASYROC.COM or myspace/easyroc or google "easyroc" (Rock Steady Crew)

Latest posts

Back