Safety Concers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was danger of hijacking another thread because I mentioned some frustration with safety concerns being the among first responses when someone offers an idea or asks for input. I appreciate that RRB forums offer a free exchange of ideas and that 'free' means that not everyone is going support every idea or statement but playing the 'safety card' early in the process especially without offering alternatives can be a way of killing the conversation and discouraging innovation.

I started a thread long ago looking for some experienced input. The thread quickly devolved into posters (who didn't seem to have experience with the question at hand) telling me why my idea was unsound and using safety as an opportunity to impugn my choices. What I presented didn't seem particularly risky, I figured out a way around the problem (with some help from an RRB member who PM'd me because he too was frustrated by the direction of the thread) and everything works just fine.

Bikes are pretty simple machines. Riding one is pretty simple once your brain and body learn how to do it. The rest is judgement. When to go, when to stop, where to steer. What to add, modify or eliminate for the sake of style and performance.

I'm a grown-up
I've built, bashed, crashed, burned, bruised, broken, lacerated and scraped in innumerable ways. Each experience has taught me a new way to avoid injury to the point that injuries are far less common now than when I was 12. I extend the benefit of the doubt to posters who are considering a modification. They have the parts in hand and the bike before them, I don't. I assume they know it hurts if a part fails and they fall off or run into something. The risk to their own flesh should be enough for them to pay attention to the potential consequences of any mod.

There is an inherent danger in riding a bike.
Customizing a bike may increase that risk.
Crashing hurts
If you are not aware of any of the above perhaps you should find a different hobby.
Proceed. If you lack caution use discretion

Putting hand grips on by spitting in them is bad, especially on a muscle bike, especially if you like to pop wheelies, especially if your wife just heard "Hey! Watch me pop a wheelie!"

If just one person is helped by this, it was worth the embarassment.

raggedjim said:
Putting hand grips on by spitting in them is bad, especially on a muscle bike, especially if you like to pop wheelies, especially if your wife just heard "Hey! Watch me pop a wheelie!"

If just one person is helped by this, it was worth the embarassment.

Now THATS funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

It falls under the " famous last words" category :wink:

junknutz1975 said:
Now THATS funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

It falls under the " famous last words" category :wink:

Yes, in hind sight I can see the humor in the situation. At the time only my wife laughed... She needs professional help, I could have been kilt, or worse.

Run into this all the time with the hot rods. Bottom line for anything! If ya can't build it safe and right---Don't build it!!! 8)

Back