Sachs Drum Brake Cable

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJK

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Y'all!
In the middle of a bash up build combining 700c wheels with an old cantilever frame.

I'm having problems with the brakes.
I've got Sachs hubs front and rear.
A vt 5000 in the front and a Torpedo 3 in the rear..... both are drum brakes. I need to know where to get the dohickey that is on the end of the cable to allow it to work with the arm on the brakes.
HELP! I dont even know what its called.

Also, how much travel is needed for the levers to work with these brakes?

Thanks.
TJ

I assume you need something like this. Don't know where to get them. But Uncle Stretch knows how to make them. :wink:

hubparts001.jpg

Couldn't he drill a hole in a piece of rod the right size then use a regular screw that you would use on caliper breaks for a cable stop?

That 8mm barrel MIGHT work.. need to figure out the length.
Drum Brakes were quite common at one time, how come no one knows anything about em any more?!!!
Anyone know what cable would have the adjuster built in like that?

And while were on the subject, The Torpedo 3 Speed hub needs a cable and shifter setup as well..
The Sturmey stuff seems to be all over. Can I use a Sturmey shifter to work with a Sachs Torpedo 3 speed?
-TJ

Sturmey will work for the shifter, but probably not the cable as the barrel adjusters on the ends are different.

Do you have the indicator/shifter chain that goes into the hub? Sturmey's won't work you would need one from a SRAM Dual Drive.

I've got the indicator chain and pass through cap thing.
Will that indicator only work with a sachs cable?

Okay, I think I've got a few option for brake barrel things.....

But that great universal adaptor is nolonger available from bike Friday according to their website catalog. Any other options or sources for Sachs cable?

Thanks so much for your help guys!

I would call them and find out for sure. You may needs to go into a bike shop to see if they can order it for you.

Here's some shots of the bike in mock up so far....
Was gonna enter it into a build off.. but my brother in-law did the paint.. and i started on it too soon!

You can see the parts on the action arms that i need the cable ends to work with..
also trying to track down an anchorage for the sachs indicator chain.. i think a dealer on ebay has one with a cable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7313527@N0 ... 754515505/

Question for you...
I have an indicator chain already, but no anchor.
Well, I ordered a NOS f&s anchor and cable... And now the anchor doesn't fit the indicator chain! The anchor is too small to mate up with the indicator chain. What gives?
Do I have some kinda weird chain that works between a sachs hub and a sturmey anchor?
Tj

Back