SA 3 spd hub question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys,

Got a SA 3spd question for ya, my 58 corvettes SA hub binds up in 3rd its odd you have to fight it backwards to try and get it to pop back into 2nd it locks right up it will still coast but won't pedal at all I've tried adjusting it many times (I have quiet a few SA I know how to adjust em) , oiling etc I have no idea what its deal is the member I bought it from said it worked for him and I trust him so I don't know if something was knocked lose in shipping or what ?? Any ideas? My second question is I have another 1965 SA that works but can I unthread the entire cluster from one shell and swap it to my corvette?

Thanks guys,
Ty

On the AW there is a design issue where when you shift from 3d to 2d, if the clutch and spring mechanism align in a certain way with the cams, you will be unable to shift from 3d to 2d. It's actually normal for an AW to do that. Every AW I've ridden and worked on has done it. You have to backpedal slightly to release the pressure and re-align the clutch to the drive pins so that it pops into place for 2d gear. It will not happen every time, but only happens when they line up in such a way that the clutch won't pop into place on the pins. When it does, you'll feel it in the shifter where it sort of hits a mushy "stop" before getting to the 2d gear click. You'll still be in 3d at that point, but the pedals should not lock up though. If the pedals are locking up entirely, there is something wrong with the hub. It sounds as if the clutch is catching on something and impeding the travel of the drive pins in their case.

ive got stuck in that soft spot on a few of my others but ya its not like its a neutral the hub gets incredibly hard to pedal and sometimes jam upbut the bike will still coast 1st and 2nd are totally fine.

Back