S7 single speed to bendix two speed swap question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys im kind of sick of my typhoons original single speed rear hub(mounted on original s7s)to hard, slow peddling. I was wondering if a two speed kick back would fit on that wheel without any problems.

Frankthetank said:
Hey guys im kind of sick of my typhoons original single speed rear hub(mounted on original s7s)to hard, slow peddling. I was wondering if a two speed kick back would fit on that wheel without any problems.
I've had middleweights with Bendix Kickbacks before. I think the spoke flanges are a different size though.

Yes the flanges are large on the Bendix 2 speed kickback hubs. You'll have to figure what size spokes you'll need if you do it yourself. They are probably 36 spokes, but always check beforehand. Sturmey Archer makes a 2 speed kickback if you're looking for a new one.

Yeah, you'll need different spokes but I believe I have a bag with a couple S-7 kickback ones in it that I can measure for you. It's easy enough; I just swapped one into my '63 American deluxe.

Jpromo said:
Yeah, you'll need different spokes but I believe I have a bag with a couple S-7 kickback ones in it that I can measure for you. It's easy enough; I just swapped one into my '63 American deluxe.
That'll work. Let me know please.

An S-7 with a one speed has 10 7/8" spokes. An S-7 with a kickback has 10 3/8"...they are 1/2" shorter. Gary

The spokes can be the same dia. Use 14ga., they are common. Get the longer 1/2" nipples if you can. Those tiny short nipples might run you short on spoke length. Gary

i would recommend using new spokes.the last time i used the original spokes,it was a disaster.i broke a few right away.

Right on thanks guys, you've been a big help. I'm gonna contact memory lane classics on pay day n see if they have any in stock.

Back