S-7 Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, today, while looking at my 3 bikes in my 2 bedrom apartment, i started ondering what my wife's Hollywood would look like with my Haro's wheels on it. After deciding that Age Of Mythology was more important, I looked away. A minute or so later, I realized that could pull the wheels off of my modern Schwinn and throw them on. Unfortunately, it's a no go, as my modern's wheels are 26x2.125, and the ones from the Hollywood are S-7 (26x 1-3/4, not 1.75!). Not only did the tire not fit between the fender braces, but the axle is too large. THe S-7s are shot, does any one know of a replacement middleweight wheel? Or maybe someone has some cheap S-7s lying around? Any help would be awesome!

The Dev

almost any 1.75 wheel will fit onto the schwinn. i've also seen the balloon tires massaged into place on middleweights. are you looking for a chrome or painted S7? do you have 1 3/4 tires?

I had modern tires 26x2.125 on my middle weight Hornet. Worked in the rear fine.
downsized_1102081610.jpg

Axles- Take a file or grinder and flatten the threads on either side so it slides into the fork/dropout. Some grind the fork/dropout larger but those are harder to replace if something goes wrong.

Metal Militia said:
almost any 1.75 wheel will fit onto the schwinn. i've also seen the balloon tires massaged into place on middleweights. are you looking for a chrome or painted S7? do you have 1 3/4 tires?

Painted, unpainted, it doesn't really matter. the only 1 3/4 tires i have are the old ones,

I had modern tires 26x2.125 on my middleweight Jaguar. Plenty of room, but the bike is fenderless. I can see how you'd have clearance issues with the m/w fender braces. I slipped an extra rear fender on it and the brace was in contact with the tire.

deorman said:
Am I understanding correctly it's only the tire portion of your wheel that's shot? If so, you can buy them here.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_inf ... _id=422503
Also, If you find a dealer who carries them, 650C tires usually will fit 26" S-7 rims. :?
No, the tires are good, the rim, and the front hub are bad. I figured that if I was gonna replace the front, I might as well replace the rear. The rear isn't as bad as the front, but it's still not pretty. It has a good Red Band on the back that I was going to keep. If sameone has a link to some replacement wheels, and some nice tires for it I'd be good. Oh, I measyred hte front drops, and they are 3/8ths if that helps anyone. Im gonna throw the wheel back together tomorrow to take some pictures.

I've run into this same problem. I replaced the S-7s on a 1964 Hollywood and put on some brand new 26" x 1.75 wheels with 26" x 1.75 tires. It worked great until I turned and the pedal hit the ground. Would a larger tire fix this problem? What did you end up doing? Thanks in advance!

toalltrains said:
I've run into this same problem. I replaced the S-7s on a 1964 Hollywood and put on some brand new 26" x 1.75 wheels with 26" x 1.75 tires. It worked great until I turned and the pedal hit the ground. Would a larger tire fix this problem? What did you end up doing? Thanks in advance!
sounds like the frame is bent :(

Metal Militia said:
toalltrains said:
sounds like the frame is bent :(

Hmmm... I would doubt the frame is bent, just sounds to me that the smaller wheels&tires cause the frame (effectively, the bottom bracket) to be lower to the ground. A shorter crank arm might do the trick, but that does change the gearing/ride a little.

I'm riding my '61 American with balloon tires on newer aluminum rims. When I got the bike, someone had previously ditched the S-7s in favor of non-Schwinn wheels and 26x1.75" tires. The bike was lower, but not enough to cause a pedal strike (we're only talking about 1/4" or so difference in radius here). But the difference in fender gap was visable.

I have the rear fender in place, but no front. The tires (mine are square-shouldered Goodyear style) will clear inside the fenders, but only if the wheel is pretty near true. A round-shouldered brick pattern balloon tire would probably fit inside the fender easier.

downsized_1102081610.jpg

I'm glad you have that piece of inner tube on that chain. I'd hate to see your paint get scratched! :mrgreen: Gary

Metal Militia said:
let's see a pic of the bike in question.
fTV2H.png

Here's the bike! It's been repainted and was my first bike I worked on. It was in rough shape when I got it. You can see the space between the tire and the fender. Thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

Back