Rust2Rods Schwinn VW Tribute Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here goes, I am going to document my build of a 1957 Schwinn Wasp 26" Bike. I build street rods and currently in the process of building a 1967 VW Beetle on Air ride. I wanted a bike I could ride around the swap meets, car shows and drag races with. So I decided to build this. I originally was going to put a china motor on it, but I am not fully convinced I want to do that with this now... So here goes... Enjoy the pics!

I bought this bike off of Craigslist. I wanted a old Schwinn frame to start with. I picked it up for next to nothing...
Schwinn%2520Wasp.jpg

I tore it down, it was dented pretty badly on the upper tube and the bars below were dented and bent as well. Like someone jammed something in between the bars of the frame. I also noticed that the kick stand was torn off... No worries though ;) I dismantled it pretty quickly and sanded it down by hand. Got it to bare metal. Used some automotive body filler to fill in the dents and the torn out kick stand mount. I shaped and sanded it until it was perfect. The frame was shot with self etching primer, then sprayed with 2 stage automotive paint in the color of the beetle I am building "Mango Green". You can see the VW body behind the frame. The frame was painted with the automotive paint. 3 coats of base color and 3 coats of clear. The clear coat is still curing in the photos...
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG

I have a set of rims from a Huffy bike I plan on using. Has rear coaster brake hub in the back. Black rims with heavy spokes. Front has a larger hub and heavy spokes as well. These are used on their "Beach Cruisers" like this model
DSCN0199.JPG

I had originally bought this bike to use for parts on the Schwinn. The rims were way out of true when I bought this bike and the seat was torn new in the box. I contacted Huffy and much to my surprise, they sent me another set of rims and another seat. So I decided to keep this one together and true the rims myself and use the other rims on the Schwinn.

I am now waiting for parts to come in. I have ordered up a black and chrome springer fork, chrome front and rear fenders, black 26" banana seat, tall sissy bar, a pair of slicks and tubes for the rims. Now it's a matter of waiting for the parts to come in.....

Here's a look at the beetle project at the moment that this bike will be modeled after....
DSCN0131.JPG

DSCN0136.JPG

Some may say that this car will be low when it's done...
DSCN0130.JPG

This is what it should look like once I finish the body...
653651.jpg

If you would like to read the build on the VW, check out my journal for it here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... =rust2rods

My photo album for the Beetle project had some issues and the links changed. So I will just repost that section that is broken on the previous entry....

Here's a look at the beetle project at the moment that this bike will be modeled after....
DSCN0136.JPG

DSCN0132.JPG

Some may say that this car will be low when it's done...
DSCN0130.JPG

This is what it should look like once I finish the body...
653651.jpg

If you would like to read the build on the VW, check out my journal for it here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... =rust2rods

While working on the beetle's body, I will take a little break and do some work on the bike...just to break things up. Well while I was waiting, the crank sprocket had some gouges in it and a lot of peeled chrome and rust. I decided to powder coat it gloss black. Cleaned it, wire wheeled it, put some gloss black powder on it and tossed it in the oven for 20 minutes in the garage. Here's how it came out...
IMG_0061.JPG

A little while later, a package shows up on my door step. It's the springer fork... I put it on the frame and put the crank in after greasing all the bearings, put the wheels on and the schwinn headbadge and here's how it looks so far...
IMG_0062.JPG

The crank arms and sprocket look right at home...
IMG_0063.JPG

A shot of the Schwinn Headbadge. The photo does no justice for it. The brown you see is the patina'ed brass with some shiny brass poking through, The Schwinn and the border is super shiny. All sealed up with 2 coats of automotive urethane clear. I will have to get some better photos of that...
IMG_0064.JPG

And a couple over all shots...just need to wait for the rest of the parts to come in....
IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

The Mango Green and black rims are a perfect combo. Super cool that you'll have a matching vintage Schwinn to go with your VW. 8)

By the way, I've been drooling over that gold and black Huffy with the thin whitewall everytime I go to Walmart.

Been waiting for some more parts to come in the mail. Got home from work today and there was the tires and inner tubes I had ordered before the 4th. I slapped them on the rims (after removing the cellophane tires :lol: ). Put the new slicks on and bolted the fenders in place. I am going to make the brackets to hold it to the rear frame support and the fork support. I rolled it outside and took some photos for you guys.... Here they are...

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

I had ordered a black 26" banana seat and a 4st sissy bar. I was also going to put a set of ape hangers on it. Now looking at the bike, I am not so sure it's going to fit the theme...

I need some help here guys... Any idea of the seat and bar combination? In my mind,I was trying to go with an adult "krate" flair or feel to it, but now looking at it, I am not so sure...

Give me some ideas, what do you think? Bars and seat style. I do plan on riding this and would like some comfort.... This will be at swap meets and car shows as well....

Tell me what you think!

Needs something like this on the front fender: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-3D-VW-VO ... 0690053890

As to the seat and bars, I think a banana and apes could work with the theme, but more importantly, I can't think off hand of a seat/bar combo that would work BETTER for the theme.

That's awesome...I had a 68 bug and a 80 vanagon and have been a fan ever since. Really interested to see the final product.

Just my suggestion take it how you want but i see some black cruiser bars and a black or dark brown leather brooks or comparable saddle, slammed and layed back. This bike is so sexy.

Looks awesome!
Tires look great 8)
Maybe a regular seat pan ( Troxel or Messinger) covered with the basketweave VW vinyl , or maybe Westfalia plaid ,
layback seatpost from Slowriderz .
hmmmmmmm .......

:mrgreen:

junknutz1975 - Thanks man, Never thought of covering it in a vw material. I do know in the car I was going to go with a Butterscotch colored interior. Hmm... More thoughts...

deven_science - I didn't even know that stuff existed! Great Eye...I will have to keep that one one in mind! BTW, love your builds...If I started building frames that would probably be a bad thing.... :shock: I am sure I'd have way more bikes than I should and I'd bet my cars would never get done... But I am intrigued by it... I'd love to build a stretch lowrider...

SMacD- Chances are you will either find me here or on the samba with the VW build. I will be keeping an eye on your build as well. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

HxCforever - There is no wrong answer... I can see it both ways, but I just can't decide on which way would work better...I'd love to find a sweet vintage looking spring seat. I do have a set of super wide early cruiser bars I was thinking about powder coating black and flipping them as drop bars...

Guys, keep the ideas coming. There's no wrong answers here. I am looking for ideas....heck even throw some photos up for inspiration.

More VW ideas..... 8)

( weird , I know , but what part of " what we do " makes sense :wink: :lol: :lol: )

Pushrod tubes as handgrips , Vw dash grab handle spaning across the handlebars ,Vw Assist strap hanging off of the seat adjuster bolt , Wood and metal " roof rack " racks , " swampcooler " tank , " aircooled " higgy hubs , " popenose" tail light ........

( notice my avatar pic 8) )

junknutz1975 said:
More VW ideas..... 8)

( weird , I know , but what part of " what we do " makes sense :wink: :lol: :lol: )

Pushrod tubes as handgrips , Vw dash grab handle spaning across the handlebars ,Vw Assist strap hanging off of the seat adjuster bolt , Wood and metal " roof rack " racks , " swampcooler " tank , " aircooled " higgy hubs , " popenose" tail light ........

( notice my avatar pic 8) )

I like the idea of a VW style wood paneled bike rack that looks like a roof rack.

I'm either going to do the handle bars like these J tubes
123d6035bc9f91ec82e5427d98db117b_zps075b6dfd.jpg

Or fab a muffler with pipes coming out and flared at the end like glass packs.

Latest posts

Back