Rust-DX- DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been waiting for a good platform to build a faux patina bike on and this rattle bombed '49 DX frame fits the bill. The metal shows lots of pitting and will add to the final look of the bike.

IMAG0392.jpg

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

My powder coater has a pretty good simulated rust powder I have been wanting to try out for a while and since I have some barter points racked up I think the time is right.

Here are a few of the other parts I have pulled together for the build.

An old Hawthorne chain guard

IMAG0227.jpg

Pair of Schwinn balloon forks I finally managed to free from a basket case girls bike I got from pick.

(Just imagine them for now, forgot to take a pic. :oops: )

And a mismatched pair of rims.

All this will get the fake rust. I have front and rear New Departure hubs that have a true rust patina that will find their way to the bike if I can get them apart to clean and rebuild. A rusty skip tooth sprocket (Schwinn, Hawthorne, or Columbia) for the drive side and some rusty steering equipment to finish it off.

Stay tuned!

Re: Rusty-X or Rust-DX

Looks very cool. I will be interested in the finish you put on it.

I have to admit though, the only thing I could think of when I saw the title was Rust-DX Ford! :lol:

Sancho said:
Looks very cool. I will be interested in the finish you put on it.

I have to admit though, the only thing I could think of when I saw the title was Rust-DX Ford! :lol:

Had to read it a couple times and then look at your location to get it. :lol: :lol:

I managed to get one of my Model D hubs apart this morning and the insides look worse than the outside. I have them soaking in pump solvent now to clean the crud off and see what it really looks like. I will probably cheat and gut a pristine Hawthorne branded Model D for the guts.

Just wanted to share a few pics of some of the parts before they begin the transformation.

The guard in it's current state
IMAG0411.jpg

The forks mocked up on the frame
IMAG0413.jpg

Front New Departure Model W hub and the rear brake arm
IMAG0414.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0415.jpg

And my closer matching rims
IMAG0417.jpg

450redrider said:
Glad someone can work with the pitting it was going to take to much work to make it smooth for my nice new tank I have, Can't wait to see it finished

I wouldn't mind finding a rusty tank for it. :wink:

You earned those forks my friend! How many cans of PB??? (that's PB Blaster, not Pabst Blue Ribbon) :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

pick said:
You earned those forks my friend! How many cans of PB??? (that's PB Blaster, not Pabst Blue Ribbon) :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

I had sprayed it down when I got it. I couldn't get the stem or the head set to budge so I hung it up in May and haven't touched it until last night. When I pulled it down last night it took very little effort to get it apart.

oh the life and stuck things on an old rusty rat bike. ya gotta lov it. that is going to be a nice build. have fun.

Outlaw 8)

I pulled the parts out to clean them up and after a couple minutes decided to replace the guts. The disc pack from the rusty hub had the steel disc instead of the bronze and they were pitted real bad. I got the hub greased up and the new parts installed and ready to lace.

I tried to get the lock ring off of the driver to no avail. I am going to let the rust win that battle. I decided to go with the 1/2" pitch driver from the donor hub. I am going to grind ever other tooth off so I can keep the skip tooth set up or swap to a standard chain if I need to. After I get the sprocket done I will be ready to head up to see the powder coater.

The faux rust powder coat will be going on the frame, fork, rims, chain guard, rear sprocket and one of the dust covers for the rear hub.

I won this pair BOA-G 26x3.45 tires at the Midwest Bicycle Fest. I had them on my Colson Rat but it looked better with the brick red tires so these shoes will fit nicely here.

IMAG0328.jpg

udallcustombikes said:
Just a teaser pic of the finished powder coating. I will post the rest of the parts later.
Fooled me. I had forgot the look you said you were going for. When I read your text and glanced at the pic I was thinking that must be the before, where's the after.

Im liking the rust powder coat! May have to steal that idea! Lookin good Cameron! 8)

Got home from paid work and jumped right to bike work.

I got the front wheel laced up and the BOA-G 26x3.45 mounted. The naturally rusty nipples blend well with the artificially rusty rims.

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

Forks, front wheel, and badge mounted

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

Back