Rust and breaking

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rust is good on a true "rat rod bike" but not on my cruiser. I have no idea how, but my favorite bike is starting to get rust on the handlebars. When I'm not riding it or showing it off, I keep it in my uncles barn/garage. It has a cement floor, it never leaks, and it never even gets drafty. Yet somehow, even though my bike is under a cover in a "hotel for machines" it gets these little rust spots. I bought some Turtle Wax Chrome Polish for it and its on it right now. Another issue is while i was riding down the road the crank assembly broke somehow. I've only rode it around 25 miles! It's actually pretty much like new and i've never messed with the mechanics of it. So i know i didnt break it by meddling. Its like as soon as i get a chance to show it off at a classic car/bike/motorcycle show it starts having all these dumb problems. Thanks for listening. Do u guys ever have these problems?

The rust, well, that depends on where you live, I'm on the east coast and the humidy makes things rust even in places that seem to be dry. There are lots of ways to remove the rust, I tend towards 0000 steel wool and WD40, it's quick and easy, but there are also products that won't be abrasive if that's a concern for you. Once rust is gone, polish, wax, and repeat.

As for the crank, we don't know what your bike is.

Um... I live in northern indiana so... anyway, its a 2010 schwinn legacy cruiser that i bought because it looked vintage.

Bikeguy7497 said:
Um... I live in northern indiana so... anyway, its a 2010 schwinn legacy cruiser that i bought because it looked vintage.

Newer chrome needs extra attention, they just don't make them like they use to.

Does that bike have a 1 piece crank? If so, what (or how) is broken?

Well I've been putting turtle wax on it every now and then. Yeah i know, even the great Schwinns have gotten cheaper. Anyway, i fixed the crank good enough that i could ride it two miles to my grandmas house and two miles back so i guess its ok now. I thought maybe one of the bearings was knocked out or something but i guess the whole assembly was just screwed in loose. Its a little loose still because my power tool thingymagigger is broken so i had to do it by hand.

the new bikes.. if you buy them from walmart.. or target . the people who put them together most the time
dont do it right. if you dont know much about them take to LBS and have them go over the bike, I buy the huffy
bikes at walmart for donor parts, and they are almost always half assembled or just plain wrong

I know my bikes pretty well inside and out. Yeah ive noticed the wally world supliers kinda suck

Back