Ruff Cycles Tango S build.. my first "from scratch" build!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 6-3, run a triple tree fork with semi down bars that lay pretty flat. I also have a swept back seat post that increases the length about 3 inches, so I'm pretty much stretched out over the top of the bike in a semi laying down position. The problem with his setup and this frame is that one has to run 5.5 inch cranks, or it scraps. Then what happens is that you ride the bike with your legs stretched to fit the pedals. My bike is more form over function; no way could I ride it more than 10 miles. If I had a reg seat post and swept back bars then it would be much more comfortable, but also more cramped since I’m tall. The problem I see with the tango is that it is so low and with the pointed part of the frame that one has to be very careful of speed bumps, curbs, dogs, etc..
I bought the Porucho becuase I love the looks of the old board tracker frames, had a worksman frame, but no way in heck I was going to build that as it was way to crammped.

Tires came in yesterday, so I'm about to go out to the garage and put my wheels together. Hopefully I have my frame and forks back by Friday so I can start figuring out what to order next.

Got my frame and forks back from the powdercoater.. They look amazing.. Headset is in and forks and front tire are on.. I need to raise the fork tubes in the triple a little to lower the front end.. And hopefully the head tube is long enough to hold a stem.. Almost time to start ordering cranks and stuff.. Stay tuned!

So I wasn't going to put up any pics until I was done... I was planning to do a big "unveiling".. But since I keep harassing everyone with questions I think I should at least show you guys what I'm dealing with.. So here goes:

Super cool 3G wheels and Thick Bricks..

RUFF! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :)

Pretty blue... Brings out my eyes!

Before I lowered it.. Easier to move around the shop (my garage) this way.

Now THAT is low.

Gonna take 3 1/2" off of the fork tubes to bring them flush.

Currently waiting on an offset rear sprocket from Nic at Local Cycles so the chain will clear the tire (when I put a chain on).. I am still deciding on a crankset but they will probably be 170mm.. Other than that I need to decide on a seat.. pick up a post (layback) and clamp.. and then it's all about the odds and ends.. I haven't really thought about handlebars yet because I'd like to see how much room I'm going to have when I'm sitting on it.. and I also still haven't come up with an official name for this build.. I'm slackin!

Looks really great so far!

I may have missed it, but what width wheels are you running and who makes the fork?

The wheels are 3G 24" x 57mm (ordered from this very site!!) and the fork is actually from a Jesse James WCC Huffy... The first bike I brought home when I started to get interested in this scene. I had Joe at Profab Customs in Clearwater Florida work his magic on the frame and fork.. I'll tell you.. that fork was tired and rough when I brought it to him and it looks brand new now.. He's definitely going to be the guy I take all my stuff to from now on.

Hoping to pull the trigger on cranks and sprocket this week.. I'm just trying to make sure I have the right length spindle to maintain chain line.. Lol.. Also picked up a sweet set of chopper bars from a motorcycle at a flea market this weekend.. But they're chrome so I may be taking another trip to the powdercoater soon!

Random pictures and parts from this build....

Flea market find.. I love them but I don't want chrome on this bike so they may end up for sale if I don't powdercoat them.

Projekt Fixie crankset.. 165mm.. These are definitely going on the bike.

Origin8 stem

Random parts I spraybombed in my garage.. offset sprocket and seat hardware.. Like I said.. no chrome on this bike.

awesome love the gussets on those bars would def. look great on that sweet bike!!!

Got a whole bunch of stuff coming in today.. Seatpost and shim already arrived.. So did the chain(s)... I'm waiting on a blade so I can cut down the fork tubes and possibly the seatpost.. Have to paint a couple more small pieces.. and then hopefully start assembly.

Got SO close to being done that I almost started cutting corners to finish her up.. But I got smart. Have some pieces that I painted (poorly) that I'm going to have blasted and powdercoated.. and then have her all together the right way. Stay tuned.. She WILL be done soon.

Looks good. I too have used Joe at Profab for some powder work.He does a great job and always has good prices. Are we going to see you out with the bike at the show/swap in Dunedin at the end of next month?
-Kreep-

So I got the chain on.. back wheel lined up.. and decided I needed to ride it even if only for a minute.. so I mocked everything else up and took it for a little spin. Everything is smooth as butter. Next step is to break some things down.. Powdercoat some small parts.. I ordered a Ruff Cycles seat post and clamp.. those are en route.. and hopefully in a week or two the bike will be altogether and complete.. and ready for pictures of course! Stay tuned...

Sooooo... Small update: I didn't like the way the seatpost and shim were sitting so I ordered a Ruff Cycles post and clamp... Those are on.. The handlebars are at the powdercoater now.. School was kicking my a** for a couple of weeks so I couldn't pay much attention to my ride but I'm back in the game now. I have to find a new seat becaust the Ruff post doesn't accept the silly little clamp that my seat has and the seat doesn't have rails to clamp on to.. So once I decide what kind of seat and grips I'm going with.. It looks like she will be all done. For now anyway....

Latest posts

Back