RUFF CYCLES "LUCKY" BUILD - (FINISHED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Received something cool from Ruff Cycles today...one of their "LUCKY V1.0" frames, a set of their 26" x 65mm 2 speed kickback wheel sets and one of their Ruff leather saddles.

Started sticking stuff together to see how it looked...

lucky1a.jpg

lucky2a.jpg

lucky3a.jpg

lucky4a.jpg

To complete the build I ordered one of the Sunlite 1 1/8" threadless springer forks from Amazon and the rest of the components I will need from Porkchop BMX. The only thing I'm lacking at this point are tires and handlebars. Thinking of going with either BOA-Gs or some Schwalbe Fat Franks.

Also need to decide what to do on the finish....maybe a tank insert???

lucky5a.jpg

Wow, digging that frame!

Black & tan would be pretty cool. Black powdercoat frame w/tan accents. I like the tank insert someone made here for their "Henderson" w/PVC pipe and toilet- float ends. That's awesome!

Great bike RatRod!
Wow, digging that frame!

Black & tan would be pretty cool. Black powdercoat frame w/tan accents. I like the tank insert someone made here for their "Henderson" w/PVC pipe and toilet- float ends. That's awesome!
That was @Glen, he did an awesome job of it too! Not sure that design would fit this frame though...

Luke.

Even just a tank plate when you get to it would look awesome, you don't need anything special on that frame, too much and it would take away from the cool flow of the tubes... ;)

I have been thinking about doing a tank plate out of two layers of thick leather stitched together and held in place with copper brackets, with the talent on this site you could even get one tooled with "Ruff Cycles" and "LUCKY" on it, imagine it done with a nice contrasting cream stitched border, cream paint with brown pinstripes, brown Boa-G's...

Drooling eyeball worthy! :rockout:

Luke.

Okay...today it was sunny, calm and in the low 60s so I decided to go ahead and lay down some paint. Tried to visualize the bike several different ways and ended up going with military green. I almost went with Yamaha yellow, but it was gloss and I really wanted a flat finish.

Here's a shot just after painting...

lucky7.jpg

Got the headset cups installed...

lucky8.jpg

Decided to try my hand at installing the BSA bottom bracket. I was very concerned that I would cross thread this thing. It took several attempts at getting it started and I finally managed to get it installed.

lucky9.jpg

lucky10.jpg

So then I got the crank set put together and went to install it only to find out that the spindle was waaay to narrow for the chain stays on this frame. :mad:

This is a 118 mm spindle so I need to talk to Pero at Ruff and find out what size I need to use to set it up correctly.

Here's a shot showing the crank barely sitting on the end of the spindle.

lucky11.jpg

So after that set back I decided to tackle the fork/headset install. Had to cut a good portion of the steer tube off and managed to get installed without any issues.

lucky12.jpg

lucky13.jpg

Not sure how it's going to look, but I ordered some Kenda Small Block 8 26" x 2.35" micro knobby tires. Wanted to give this thing an aggressive look without having a rough ride.

small_block.jpg

I also ordered a set of Al's Rapid Transit black KOS Kruiser bars...again, not 100% sure how these will look, but I'm hoping they will fit in with everything else.

DSC08428.JPG

I have a feeling I may end up with the seat slammed once the tires are installed, but that would be okay by me.

Nothing like spending money on parts and then thinking...well, that looks bad. :blackeye:

Latest posts

Back