Rude or Just Stupid?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Thursday morning I am sleeping like a baby when the phone rings wakeing me up at 5:19am about a 30.00 bike I had on CL. Guy acts like its no big deal asks me to call him back when I get up and around. (actually had a buyer coming later that morning who bought the bike).Anyways guy even called back and left a message for me later that day after me ignoring him.Cant believe how stupid some folks are. I am not doing business with anyone who wakes me up like that for something that can wait awhile. Early bird didnt get the worm he lost out due to stupidity.

I dunno, maybe he was at a few bike swaps where guys stay up all night to buy and get the good deals before the sun comes up. I have been to a few yard sales where the ad said don't even think of coming before 8 AM and showed up at 8.00 only to find the major items I was wanting were gone two hours earlier. Saved a lot of cash that way.

And yup, I think it is rude too. I just turn my ringer off, sorry about that early birds.... :lol:

At least the guy didn't offer you a trade for drugs... I had one call me around midnight and offer to trade drugs for a lowrider bike I had. :roll:

5:19 am? Half the day's gone by 5am. :p You young people need to go to bed earlier and get up earlier. There ain't nuthin' going on after dark out there anyway, is there? :wink: Gary

Sorry about that man!
My Daddy raised me to be a fine soldier, up at O-400 hours every day. No alarm. Just I get up.No matter how tired, drunk, or you name it, 4am since I was 15.
Know how boring it was waiting for the homees to get up at noon! :)
But no, guy isn't stupid, just on a different schedule. Or I hope that's the case, remember drugs only carry 1/10th their street value when used in a trade.......

Sorry, but I don't see the issue, but I'm up at that time anyways. He was probably hoping to get voicemail or something, or he really wants the bike. And the last thing I would do is not sell him the bike because of it. There are way to many bikes on CL, and the fact he wanted yours, well maybe no one else will. To each his own.

mikeeebikey said:
Sorry about that man!
My Daddy raised me to be a fine soldier, up at O-400 hours every day. No alarm. Just I get up.No matter how tired, drunk, or you name it, 4am since I was 15.
Know how boring it was waiting for the homees to get up at noon! :)
But no, guy isn't stupid, just on a different schedule. Or I hope that's the case, remember drugs only carry 1/10th their street value when used in a trade.......

I don't do drugs, want drugs, or want people with drugs knowing where I live. I wish more people would offer me gun trades though, I like guns. :mrgreen:

Ldog33 said:
Sorry, but I don't see the issue, but I'm up at that time anyways. He was probably hoping to get voicemail or something, or he really wants the bike. And the last thing I would do is not sell him the bike because of it. There are way to many bikes on CL, and the fact he wanted yours, well maybe no one else will. To each his own.

+1
Would I call somebody at 5am? Definitely not, but you may learn something from this and not post your phone number on CL, if you do put a time to receive calls. if you don't post a call time, it really is just an invitation for free for all call.

Personally I would have answered (not that I would want to, but it might be a family emergency)
-- and I would have told him that I already had someone scheduled to look at the bike.
And, I'd say I'd call him back if it didn't sell.
Then ask why he woke me up that early?
I believe that if I place an ad, I should respond to calls in some manner, unless it's an obvious scam of some sort.
It's just what I'd expect if I was calling to buy.
Stupid? More a lack of common courtesy on his part.

Aggressive ! Rude and crude. I would not reward such inconsiderate behavior either. I would answer my home phone, but if were to sell a bike, I would list a cheap prepaid phone.Leave it turned off when not wanting to be bothered.

I see a lot of bikes that are posted in the wee hours of the morning , and have missed several hot deals cause I decided to be polite and wait till after breakfast.

onex29er said:
I see a lot of bikes that are posted in the wee hours of the morning , and have missed several hot deals cause I decided to be polite and wait till after breakfast.

It is a tossup between wanting to buy that hot deal and wanting to be polite. And what time is the best time to start calling? after 6? 7? 8? 9? Then we get into how late can you call....Some folks stay up to midnight, others call it quits at 8.

I try not to call anyone before 7 and if I know they are a late riser 9. And I don't call after 9 at night. Still miss out on stuff. But I have no idea if they item sold a day before or that AM at 5.

But if I were selling $30 bike I don't think I'd appreciate a call before the sun came up either. Posting a cell phone number you can turn off is a good plan.

Lol, did you comment on the post when to call? If not, then I see no problem. Either way, why so upset so many days later. You come off as if someone was pounding at your front door at 5AM.

B607 said:
5:19 am? Half the day's gone by 5am. :p You young people need to go to bed earlier and get up earlier. There ain't nuthin' going on after dark out there anyway, is there? :wink: Gary

All we know about this guy is that he was awake at 5:19. Could have very well been from the night before!

I'm normally up at hat time heck I'm usually up at that time an I have called about good deals an have never got a bad response a lot of people do business in early part of the morning

Don't put your phone number in a craigslist ad, that was the first mistake.

Lots of goofy people out there that would love to create fake ads and throw your number in there when they lose out on the item you are offering.

"Free Flat Screen TV' with your phone number in the ad and your phone will be blowing up. :lol:

I agree with Rat Rod. Using the CL anon email address is the best way to screen out people and keep your privacy.
A: Posters to craigslist can choose to use a temporary craigslist address to receive responses. As long as the post is still active, craigslist will relay any messages sent to the temporary address to the poster's actual email address.

Note: When you reply to a post, your email address will be visible to the recipient. If you prefer to remain anonymous, consider using an email address that does not contain your name or other identifying information.

Back