RRBBO7 HYPE UP THREAD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7 "HYPE-UP" THREAD!

I got plans. :|

black.jpg

Guess what color. :mrgreen:

This was last years bike....

Before:

006.jpg

After:

025.jpg

This is this years bike....

Before:

schwinn_uni.png

bean said:
The white van guy dropped off a big cardboard box containing my build-off tires yesterday..........suhweeeeet!!!

........now I've got 7 weeks to find a frame :shock:

garagegoon said:
schwinn_uni.png

You should have a pretty easy build considering this is a digital image... all your work will be in the shop... the Photoshop.

yoothgeye said:
garagegoon said:
schwinn_uni.png

You should have a pretty easy build considering this is a digital image... all your work will be in the shop... the Photoshop.

Had to find a good clear online picture last night.... My uni is hangin in the garage collecting dust...

garagegoon said:
schwinn_uni.png

Remember the rules say it must be able to be ridden.

garagegoon said:
yoothgeye said:
garagegoon said:
schwinn_uni.png

Had to find a good clear online picture last night.... My uni is hangin in the garage collecting dust...
Here is what I did to one of mine a few years ago..Also a buddy saw mine and made one that holds a pony keg.
-Kreep-
S7300577.jpg

So I'm trying to think of how cheaply I can make a wicked road bike out of a ratty old English 3-speed... I'd love to convert one to a 5-speed hub, but Sturmey doesn't make 5-speeds anymore with 40 hole drillings. I can get dynohubs with 32 holes for the front, though... I have a Sanyo dynohub on my commuter, and it's awesome. Only $40, too.

Would it be evil of me to put a modern 2-piece track crank on a classic road bike? Hmm....

Which would be more evil? Putting new lightweight parts on a classic, or building a new lightweight frame road bike with drum brakes?

Decisions, decisions...

FunkyStickman said:
Which would be more evil? Putting new lightweight parts on a classic, or building a new lightweight frame road bike with drum brakes?

Decisions, decisions...

I'd do either, so I don't think either is evil. Or perhaps no more or less evil than the other. Your first scenario is more likely to get votes though...

expjawa said:
FunkyStickman said:

Decisions, decisions...

I'd do either, so I don't think either is evil. Or perhaps no more or less evil than the other. Your first scenario is more likely to get votes though...

Neither strikes me as evil, NO brakes would be evil, Fixie would be evil, Make a plate that rubs the tire like an old minibike would be evil, Anything else is just normal.

OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7 "HYPE-UP" THREAD!

outskirtscustoms said:
expjawa said:
FunkyStickman said:

Decisions, decisions...

Neither strikes me as evil, NO brakes would be evil, Fixie would be evil, Make a plate that rubs the tire like an old minibike would be evil, Anything else is just normal.

A plate, you say? Hmm...

Re: OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7

deven_science said:
A plate, you say? Hmm...

This idea has been in my head more than once. No need to find coaster brake wheel, no expensive drums or discs, no alignment issues with caliper brakes, and my idea was a piece of wood on the plate as the brake pad, so cheap replacement pads (until you wear out your tire).

Re: OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7

yoothgeye said:
deven_science said:
A plate, you say? Hmm...

This idea has been in my head more than once. No need to find coaster brake wheel, no expensive drums or discs, no alignment issues with caliper brakes, and my idea was a piece of wood on the plate as the brake pad, so cheap replacement pads (until you wear out your tire).

Maybe coat your tire with Herculiner!!!

I've gone and done it now... :lol:

Or go fixie and put a disk brake caliper on the front sprocket where the chain doesn't ride. 8)

I remember as a kid putting one leg down locked in front of a pedal and letting my Converse All Stars do the braking. They would brake pretty well. Maybe instead of wood as your braking surface, you could use some old sneakers.

kingfish254 said:
yoothgeye said:
deven_science said:
A plate, you say? Hmm...

Maybe coat your tire with Herculiner!!!
kingfish254 said:
I remember as a kid putting one leg down locked in front of a pedal and letting my Converse All Stars do the braking. They would brake pretty well. Maybe instead of wood as your braking surface, you could use some old sneakers.

Now you gentlemen have the voices in my head taking notes.... :shock:

As much as I want to build a chopper (and a cargo bike) I am going to stick to a lightweight for this build...

I have a welder now! Once I get the hang of it, expect to see lots of twisted sickness coming forth from my workshop when the "anything goes" buildoff comes around.

*maniacal laugh*

Back