Rough Diamond - New Pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my Australian built 54 Malvern Star 3 Star. The Malvern Star range consisted of different quality bikes. This level of quality/components was reflected by the number of "stars" - A One Star was your average utility bike, the 2 Star usually had a better build quality, maybe with nicer lugs, paint and components etc, and the 3 Star was the top of the range road bike (although many of them were used for track and road racing), while the 4 Star and 5 Star were the companies premier racing bikes (road and track). I'm also lucky enough to have a 5 Star frame in my size that I'm saving for a future build.

I found this one in a junkyard a couple of years ago, and have just gotten around to doing something with it. The frame had about 4 coats of house paint on it and a number of dents and scrapes. I decided to leave all the dents and scars unrepaired, stripped it to bare metal and sprayed it with red oxide primer.

The rear hub is a NOS Sachs Komet Super, the front is a NOS Sachs Orbit V , and they are laced to a set of used Mavic Open Pro 700c rims. I scrounged through my parts bins for the rest of the components. Tires are Schwalbe Cream Delta Cruisers. The BB is a sealed Shimano, and the cranks are Shimano 600. Bars are cut down Soma Noah's Arc, and the saddle is a San Marco Rolls.

Gearing is 42:18 which I have found to be a nice "urban" ratio, and still allows me to go on slightly longer rides without spinning too much.

Here's some pics
DSCF1221.jpg

DSCF1219.jpg

DSCF1222.jpg

DSCF1227.jpg

Re: Rough Diamond

nice , love the head tube on that ! very cool !

.... nice and clean!

May I suggest a silver seatpost, a smaller (not that heavy looking) seat (maybe a black brooks swallow or swift), just black leather band for grips and some fine creme (like the tires) lines around the lugs? That would really set it off!

Thanks for all the kind comments. This bike is a blast to ride, and have been doing an average of 20 miles a day on it for the past couple of weeks

Crank!Basti: I agree with your styling thoughts, and intend to replace the seat post next time I go to the bike shop. Although the grips look a bit out of place, they are "ergo" and are easier on my palms and wrists on longer rides. I would love to put a Brooks on this bike, and probably will later on, but as it sits now, it only owes me around $200, so I'm not in a hurry to drop another $150 on a new saddle.

Before my morning ride today, I was giving it a check over and noticed the tires :cry: . This has only happened since I fitted them to these rims 2 weeks ago. They are 18 months old and have done a lot of miles, but were previously fitted to wider rims (approx 25mm). The Mavics are much narrower, causing the tires to "balloon" a bit more....maybe this has something to do with it, maybe they've reached their use by date? The maximum pressure for these tires is 65psi, and I was running 55-60psi (checked with a number of different gauges), so I don't think it was caused from over-inflation. Any thoughts?

DSCF1235.jpg

Michelin City 700 x 32. I'm liking the black tired look.
DSCF1237.jpg

I love this bike a lot! In my opinion the cream tires did it for me though. If you ever wanna sell drop me a line. That frame is kool.

That's just too cool! Very cool frame, and nice job.
(I have to say, though, that I liked it better with creme tires, too... :wink: )

another vote for those creme tires - i saw those at my LBS and wondered if they would be ok on smaller rims... time will tell, i suppose. right now im running NOS michelin all white tires on my road bike.

My guess would be that those tires spent an inordinately long time in a shipping container with a bag of silica, or something of that nature. The black ones look ok to me.

slick said:
I love this bike a lot! In my opinion the cream tires did it for me though. If you ever wanna sell drop me a line. That frame is kool.

I'd probably part with this one slick, The shipping would be a killer though!

I will be definately putting another set of cream tires on it, just gotta wait til the importer gets a new shipment into the country.

herr_rudolf said:
I like this bike better with the cream tires...

I love that seat though. Is it a Rolls? It's the choice I would have made. Those skinny Brooks are worth a small fortune. I'd love to have one but I always thought a Rolls would be a classy 2nd choice.

Yeah, it's a Rolls, herr_rudolf. I had it my parts stash, and they are an awesome seat to use.....I just can't justify the amount of money a skinny Brooks would add to the cost of this bike.

I didn't realize you lived in Australia. :oops: I'll have Russell Crowe put it on his private jet and bring it to me the next time he's doing a movie over here to save me on shipping! :D I do love that bike though! :(

Back