ORBO Rough and Ready Redline

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0882.jpeg

This was a fun build on an old neglected Redline frame/fork that I saw for sale online and it was so muttley I had to adopt it:
256005-1704575918843.jpeg

I don't really need another BMX bike but it was a fun build. Follow the progress here:
RR Redline

The story the owner told me was that his autistic son came home from school one day, took his bike apart and stripped the paint off of it to redo it. That's as far as it got. It sat in boxes in their attic for years until the guy decided he should move it along.

I finished stripping it down to bare metal and sprayed it with some leftover spray paints I had. I used a stem and bars that were leftover from a previous project. Red anodized seatpost and MTB seat. Found a good deal on some cool red tires. New red grips, new rear brake. '90s vintage cranks with the front sprocket that came with the bike. This version has some nice modern wheels with a freecoaster rear hub. Really fun to ride. I thought I might keep this one but decided against it. Turns out my 8 year old niece is ready for a bigger bike and her birthday is this coming weekend, perfect! I did put some shorter cranks and seatpost on it for her but the bike is still largely the same otherwise. It will be delivered tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to seeing her try it out!
IMG_0885.jpeg
IMG_0884.jpeg
IMG_0883.jpeg
IMG_0881.jpeg
IMG_0877.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpeg
    IMG_0880.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0879.jpeg
    IMG_0879.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0878.jpeg
    IMG_0878.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Awesome job on fixing that bike! Love the paint fades you did. I need to try that out sometime. Glad to hear your niece is loving it! I bet she's going to have a ton of fun riding a bike her uncle built!

I like the paint fade. At first I thought it was two tone red and black. Until I noticed the white on the
dropouts which extends across with the white chain. Well thought.

Awesome job on fixing that bike! Love the paint fades you did. I need to try that out sometime. Glad to hear your niece is loving it! I bet she's going to have a ton of fun riding a bike her uncle built!

Thanks!! These leftover spray-paint fades are pretty easy. I don't let it flash off between colors, just paint all on each coat and blend in as I go. I like the results, it's fun to do and uses up old cans of spray paint. Definitely recommend trying it.

Back