Roth flake bombs - lookin' good!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i want to play with this stuff too. i have used the dupli color metal specks and it works of but this looks like larger flake. however it is more of a paint system it seems as you spray the flake on the base then candy over then clear. so it would cost some bucks to do a frame but at least there is another option out there

karfer67 said:
i want to play with this stuff too. i have used the dupli color metal specks and it works of but this looks like larger flake. however it is more of a paint system it seems as you spray the flake on the base then candy over then clear. so it would cost some bucks to do a frame but at least there is another option out there
Looks like a good option for those of us who don't have compressed air on tap in their garages yet, too. I could hang frames from a tree in the back yard and paint there.

they carry this item at Sacramento Vintage Ford if you were interested in checking it out.

That looks like a great product. That simplifies having to buy all of the pro paint $tuff to do a metalflake job. I bought a jar of Lil Daddy Roth flake from Alex Gambino at the Lone Star Roundup (and then a 1.7 tip for my gun) but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. This rattle-can approach is tempting...

BTW, here's the link to the distributors: http://www.rothmetalflake.com/distributors.html

I met Ed Roth's son today at the World of Wheels in Atlanta. He was there selling his metal flake paint and signing autographs. He has amazing talent at creating cars just like his dad. He signed my chainguard for my latest build.

Here is the build thread!
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35136&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I really loved metalflake back in the 70s.

I better hurry up and paint my current bike with this BEFORE it becomes the next "over done trend"

:lol:

Fe2O3 said:
I really loved metalflake back in the 70s.

I better hurry up and paint my current bike with this BEFORE it becomes the next "over done trend"

:lol:
Cans of big flake Candy apple and chrome extended forks down at the Hi-Gear store... 8) ahh memorys...

"chrome extended forks" the 2nd thing I dreampt of every night when I was 13 :wink:

Double Nickle said:
I met Ed Roth's son today at the World of Wheels in Atlanta. He was there selling his metal flake paint and signing autographs. He has amazing talent at creating cars just like his dad. He signed my chainguard for my latest build.

Here is the build thread!
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35136&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
I bought the lil' Daddy Roth's "lil' Beever Brown"...All it is is a can of brown metal flake. Anyone know how to apply it? Roth told be he puts his in the clear coat!

"..... bought the lil' Daddy Roth's "lil' Beever Brown"...All it is is a can of brown metal flake. Anyone know how to apply it? Roth told be he puts his in the clear coat!...."

I think you need a spayer/compressor system for that stuff. It's metal particles that you mix with clear coat and spray it on. Then follow with a bazillion coats of pure clear til you cover the flake til it's smooth to the touch.

I know this post is probally old but another way to metal flake at home with no compressor is to spray the part your doing with your choice of gloss spraypaint and wile its still wet just sprinkle automotive flake onto it. I used a paint can lid I drilled holes in and filled it up with flake and put a price of cardboard under it to stop the flakes from coming out held it about 3 feet above the parts and shook it a bit. A little flake goes a long way and jars of flake are cheap I think I payed 12 bucks didn't barely use any. This is a very messy prosess but works ok id do it outside or over a tarp if you don't want to metalflake your floor. Make sure you have even coverage of the parts then let it dry a bit and start clearing over them. Some brands off spray clear dull and don't look well I think rustoleum gloss worked well. You will need alot of coats to bury the flake. You can wetsand and buff after its all covered I just skipped that step because I don't have a buffer they sparkle in the sun something crazy.
092111090144.jpg
ill try to get an outside pic in the sunlight soon.

I must've missed this post, cool stuff! I loves me some flake, if it's a bass boat, Schwinn grips, or a guitar, I dig. In fact, I own a few flakey axes...-Adam
DanoHodad1.jpg

silver1.jpg

DpMach41.jpg

ItaliaModena1.jpg

Back