Rot-Rad - Done! pics pg 4

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok, so the name might be temporary, but its growing on me. Anyway, I introduced myself around here last week after I picked this Chinese made Schwinn cruiser with a springer front end. It seems to have some age to it, but its obviously not a Chicago Schwinn so I have no idea what year it was made. It was mostly original with some tweeker added accessories; ie: basket, tire pump, reflectors, weird grips. The bars were bent, and it had an antennae on the rear fender. I have no issues with replacing everything on this bike with parts to my liking. I'll show you what I've done so far, starting with a picture of the day I picked it up.
IMG_3203.jpg

I've done some thinking and decided to go with a true hot-rod theme. I nosed around my garage and came up with some inspiring pieces. The first thing I knew I had to have, was some original sparkle Schwinn grips so I ordered those straight away. The rest of the goodies in this picture I already had. I also found an old oven hood under my house that will give a good supply of stainless steel sheet metal (which gave me another idea).
IMG_3238R_2.jpg

Here is a piece of this nice SS sheet metal. You see where I'm going with this don't you??
IMG_3242R_2.jpg

The template came out nice. I even threw some swirl marks in there to change it up some.
IMG_3245R.jpg

Here is how my first venture into a rat-rod bike (or rot-rad in this case) came out. Not bad?? Oh, and I had also stoped by my local bike shop (The Golden Spoke in Placerville) and picked up a set of $8.00 mountain bike handle bars which were promptly narrowed by five inches 8) . The velocity stacks were for a set of Weber IDFs. You can't tell in this picture, but I did cut holes, so you can see straight through them.
IMG_3247R_2.jpg

Well there you have it. This is how the Coupe sits now, awaiting its next bunch of parts. So far, I'm happy!!
IMG_3249R_2.jpg

IMG_3258R_2.jpg

Re: The Rot-Rad Coupe

My idea for a headlight is definitely thinking around the box... I'll let the pics speak for themselves. Give me some opinions on this, because I have another idea for a headlight (more traditional) if this wont doesn't pan out.
IMG_3252R_2.jpg

IMG_3254R_2.jpg

I'm now in search of some black 26" rims and an old, good condition or rebuilt, coaster brake hub. So if you have a spare let me know. I've also been a frequent flyer over at eBay all week. Here is a list of what's in the mail coming to me this week:

Fat Franks brown tires.
fatfranks.jpg

Old leather Ideale Diagonale seat.
Picture5.jpg

Laid back seat post.
Picture3.jpg

Goose neck, unknown name. I thought it looked cool and would fit the bike.
Picture1-1.jpg

I think I'd like the look of a solid sprocket for this bike, so I picked up this Hutch crank & sprocket for $6.00 (not bad).
Picture4.jpg

So now its time to hunt down some black 26" rims, coaster brake, and a gold anodized front hub.

Please tell me what you think, cuz I'm new at this. Though I did get some good inspiration from the cars and bikes at Midnight Mass in Sacramento yesterday 8) 8) 8) .

Looks really good I can see from the way you think you really fit in around here....That sun tach is probably a collectors item by now....Oh well anything for the cause. I expect to look up someday and see the Hope Diamond mounted on the front of a bike. :lol: :lol:

demon said:
neat ideas so far but I wouldnt put those hutch cranks on that. You can turn around and sell them for a nice little profit.
Why not? Is that an opinion, or do yo think they wouldn't work properly, or just not fit the style????

Uncle Stretch said:
Looks really good I can see from the way you think you really fit in around here....That sun tach is probably a collectors item by now....Oh well anything for the cause. I expect to look up someday and see the Hope Diamond mounted on the front of a bike. :lol: :lol:
Haha. I found that tach at an auto dismantlers near by. The guy said I could just have it. It was mounted to the dash of an old Willys pick up. The bolts and dash were so rusted out, the bolts came out with just my fingers. The needle is stuck at 5500 RPM! So its going fast just sitting there :lol: :lol: !! So you really think its a collectors item. I'm a VW guy, so I have no need for a V8 tach. Well, I do now :D .

sensor said:
hes just saying that those are worth some cash is all :wink:
Thats funny.... see what I know?? :D They're worth $6.00 + shipping to me.
Thats good to know. If I find something else, I'll definitely offer them up here first.

wow what a flip! im a fan of "the rot rad coupe". its kinda hard to get it right cuz my mind wants to say rat rod but its a nice twist. look sharp. cant wait to see this one movin with once the new parts get it.

Gold Street Customs said:
OLD WILLY's PICKUP IN WRECKING YARD !!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: .......what year?......and where is Rescue again
Rescue is about 45 mins east of Sac. I went by the yard the other day because I recalled seeing some bikes stacked up near the office. IT WAS CLOSED DOWN!! The lomg gravel driveway that leads out to it was all gated up. It had been over a year since I was there. It had a lot of good old iron... Oh well, with this economy its tough to keep businesses like that open.

The sprocket.
You like the look of it. If it works, use it.

The Goose neck.
Funny. I always get disappointed when I find a cool bike that is fitted with such a neck...

The light.
I don't think that that frontlight set up is a good idea... That light won't be bright enough ; - b
Just kidding. I like your way of thinking. That meter reminds me very much of a backlighthousing from a late 20s/early 30s Ford.

Cool bike.

woah that hutch crank and sprocket, some people would kill for i bet. pretty nice. but the gooseneck is a real cheapy! reminds me of cheap k mart bikes!

JOScatRATrod said:
woah that hutch crank and sprocket, some people would kill for i bet. pretty nice. but the gooseneck is a real cheapy! reminds me of cheap k mart bikes!
Funny, the Hutch crank & sprocket had zero bids (besides mine). I suppose it was a good find.
Which goose neck? The one thats currently on the bike? Which looks like a ten-speed neck.
Or are you talking about this one? I guess it seems kinda cheap too, but its simple and thats why I kinda like it. What types of necks are a better fit for this type of bike?
Picture1-1.jpg

Critter1 said:
Which goose neck? The one thats currently on the bike? Which looks like a ten-speed neck.
Or are you talking about this one? I guess it seems kinda cheap too, but its simple and thats why I kinda like it. What types of necks are a better fit for this type of bike?
Picture1-1.jpg

This one...

It's the type of neck that comes on cheap, if not the cheapest MTB/ATB/Citybike/Childrens-young adult-bikes... That should not be a problem 'cause it's going to be on your bike, and if you think you can make it look cool on your build, I'd say: 'Use it!' I dislike it because of it's angle and it doesn't set my handlebars as low as I want to... I still have one on my ATB (see the link in my signature...)

I'm still sure your bike's gonna be cool.
Good luck with your build.

Critter1 said:

what are these things called? any idea where you got em, and what they came off?

they look to be just the things i need for my boardtracker. just about the right size also.

Back