Rookie builder (CCM cruiser)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm a newbie @ this, it's my second ever bike build. 1972 CCM I believe the model to be a Rambler or a Fleetwing. The original colour was a metallic candy apple red but somewhere along the line someone gave it the house paint treatment with a brush :shock: :x . My plan is to put a 3 speed coaster brake hub on and give her a proper paint job. I would like make a custom shifter but we'll se where i end up with that. So armed with a little bit of knowledge and a lot of enthusiasm here goes nothing!

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

Ok here's where i'm at...i've broken down the bike and stripped all the paint. I'm still up in the air with the colour but I'm leaning towards gloss black and ivory w/ some gold detailing. I won't get a chance to paint till next weekend so I have a few days to decide. This week I plan to tackle the wheels

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

Does anyone know a good way to clean up the grips I think i want to reuse them

I had pretty good results by soaking in warm/hot dishwater with soap. a little scrub brushing later and all the gook in the nooks and crannies came right out. Might try the dishwasher next time when she isn't looking..

Doesn't appear as though anyone is keeping tabs on this build :( but I'll check in anyways. I've been busy with work/other and haven't had a chance to do much. I got some sanding done and put bondo in a couple of "problem areas" and its now ready for primer/paint which I hope to finish this weekend. (will post pics)

following just cause you said no ones following it :D you should get some cream or white tires with gold rims if your doing the gold/shiny black scheme :) 8)

Back