Rollfast identity help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have a 26" Rollfast bike but have no real clue as to its age, etc. I actually saw it last night for the first time and took a few pictures of it. Then today, I was trying to research it a little and I've read that the serial numbers would be helpful! I didn't think at the time to look for them so I'm not even sure where they are located.
First of all, the bike is hanging in the garage in these photos, hence the light fixture on the floor, etc.
Secondly, someone else restored it to the point it is now. There are mounting holes in the front fender for a headlight, but the headlight is not there. It seems to be in great shape except for a few details like that.
I am hoping someone can help identify this critter, and maybe even give it a birthday. It is (or will be) for sale, so what is a Rollfast worth in this condition?
Thanks!

514ALR002.jpg

514ALR005.jpg

514ALR003.jpg

I'd place that as a very early postwar bicycle--1946. I have a '41 in which the frame is identical but I believe the chainring and rims were both introduced right after the war. Not much changed between late prewar and early postwar as the companies had been barred from production during the war years. This left them to just hop right in and use much of the same tooling and/or leftover frames from before the war just to get back to selling bicycles quickly.

Looks like somebody did a nice repaint at some point. Not a Rollfast paint scheme but it is a pretty classic looking scheme with frame and fork darts more akin to that of Schwinns and fender details that do resemble Rollfast. A sweet bike overall! Not entirely correct from a purist standpoint but it looks great and probably rides awesome. Enjoy!

Rollfast bikes were exclusively made by the H.P. Snyder co, and from around 1940-56, have the year stamped in reverse, under the serial #, stamped on the BB, or crank hangar if you will. So if it is a 46, it should be stamped something like "64 EH". There's no definitive decoding available for Snyder, as they went out of business around 1976, and sold their tooling to Emory. Nice looking bike btw! -Adam

Rollfast was supplied by H.P. Snyder as well as D.P. Harris, which doesn't follow the same reverse serial. I do not know the visual differences in the frames to discern which one this is; they're very similar to the eye.

Thanks guys. I'll check it a little closer for serial numbers and then post them if I find anything.
Would H.P. Snyder use a D.P. Harris badge?

Hobo said:
Thanks guys. I'll check it a little closer for serial numbers and then post them if I find anything.
Harris was the Harris hardware co, which made ball bearings, and owned the Rollfast name, also used on skates. They had an exclusive contract with Snyder to make their bikes. Early 30s models had a big H in the chainring, but aside from DP Harris being printed on the bottom of the older badges, they didn't have a 'Harris' badge. Snyder, did produce bikes for other companies though, most notably Mont'y Ward's. -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Hobo said:
Harris was the Harris hardware co, which made ball bearings, and owned the Rollfast name, also used on skates. They had an exclusive contract with Snyder to make their bikes. Early 30s models had a big H in the chainring, but aside from DP Harris being printed on the bottom of the older badges, they didn't have a 'Harris' badge. Snyder, did produce bikes for other companies though, most notably Mont'y Ward's. -Adam

Fascinating! Color me enlightened.

Latest posts

Back