Rim sizes and other wheel/tire questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The steel wheels that came on my huff are about 22 3/4" diamater from the outsite of the rims. I'm assuming I should be looking for a 22" tire? Is that correct? Am I taking a correct measurement?
1a. If I'm not taking a correct measurement, what would the correct measureing point be?
2. These same old wheels have a funky bead lock on them, effectively it looks like there is a gap between the inner wall of the rim and bead lock. will modern tires work with these? Anyone have any tips, preventitive measures for them?
3. Tried my LBS (though it is a chain store) for white walls with no success, any reccomendations in the twin cities for finding some in stock? Or are these usually catalog items?
4. Seen some sweet brick red balloon tires on some rides in here. Can you tell me the Mfg. of those tires?
5. I've pulled appart my rear hub to clean it up and get a fresh pack on the berrings, I found some metal shards in there from the inner race. It seems to be ok and I know the bike pedaled/stoped fine when I got it and granted this bike is 50 years old, but does anyone know of any rebuild kits for coaster brakes hubs? The bendix gears looked ok, I'm just thinking about the inner race on the drive side or maybe just get a new berring set with new races.

Thx,
DiscoStu

If it is a full size bike US made, and was sold in the 50s-70s it most likely would have 26" tires. Could be balloon or middleweight, but either 26 x2.125 (same as a std. MTB tire) or 26 x 1.75 tires should fit. As far as the bead seating on the rim, throw a tire on and air it up. If it spins true and doesn't pop off of the rim then you should be OK. Wally World usually has cheapo whitewalls for about $10 a pop.
Try Ebay for the red ones.

Back