Ride Tales~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Zombie

~:Undead Forever:~
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You hear a lot in magazines about bikers and the world of things they get mixed up in with their rides.
Some of us travel a good distance when we ride, and experience some pretty weird things.

What are some of the most notable things you've seen or been a part of on some of those crazier rides?

FZ

I was biking some trails in Homestead Florida, not far from the Homestead speedway, trucking along just fine and I catch sight of a alligator half way across the trail..
I’m going too fast and it’s too late to stop, I turn the wheel and just miss his snout by maybe 4 inches..
The gator never moved- but it scared the heck outta me.
I ended up cutting through a golf course to get back to the road, no possible way I was going back that same way.
By far my craziest experience on any trail.

I was riding from Tampa to Jacksonville in 1978, on a 1975 Schwinn Traveler. After a day and a half of pedaling, I came up on a highway on-ramp near Ocala, took off the front wheel like I had broken down and started thumbing a ride, hoping for a pickup truck. I was tired of riding.

A couple teenagers in a station wagon pulled up, I threw my bike in the back and away we went! The breeze and comfortable back seat were like heaven. It was late August and hot. We were moving along pretty well, about 75mph when the limit was 55.

Then they said they just stole the car! I was going to ask to be let out but it was too late. We were surrounded by state troopers and were pulled over and were face down, handcuffed, and told we would be shot if we moved. At the jailhouse in Ocala, they didn't believe my story of riding a bike all the way from Tampa to Jacksonville. They pegged me as the ringleader. The two kids who stole the wagon did it at gun point from a little old lady. They must have thrown the gun out, I never saw it. All I had in my wallet was my ID and the receipt for my bike. That's the only thing that saved me from getting arrested. They called the bike shop down in Dunedin to verify the receipt. After 3 or 4 hours I was back on the road again.

Years ago, I was mountainbiking with some friends in Tecklenburg, Germany. We left our phones in the car and went out for a ride.
Lots of steep climbs and fast descents. Very nice!
When we cycled about 15 kilometres and wanted to stop for a drink, one of my buddies forgot to take drinks, food anything. After some sharing we decided to ride and search for a cafe or anything to get something to drink and eat.
While riding in a town, the buddy with a GPS fell and this darn thing broke down. He was ok though, a few scratches.
We could not remember where we left the car and the parking lots around the forest all looks very similar.
Our intention was to ride about 30 to 40 kilometres in total, be home for diner together with family...
After 130 kilometres of cycling in the evening we found our car back!

The funniest thing (in hindsight) was a buddy constantly saying in excitement; I recognize this tree!! Yes we are almost there!! But after a kilometre or so, you could hear a growl or sigh that he didn't know where we were.

Addition now that I saw the photos: One of our group needed to go to the bathroom for a number 2. But in the forest there was none. There was an electric shed on top of a hill, so he sat there with some leaves. Then in the middle of his business a large group with rented bikes came from the back of the hill instantly standing 4 feet away from him... he had nowhere to hide! Just saying no no no! :rofl:

Sitting in the car back home with sore bottoms!

Last edited:
I was riding from Tampa to Jacksonville in 1978, on a 1975 Schwinn Traveler. After a day and a half of pedaling, I came up on a highway on-ramp near Ocala, took off the front wheel like I had broken down and started thumbing a ride, hoping for a pickup truck. I was tired of riding.

A couple teenagers in a station wagon pulled up, I threw my bike in the back and away we went! The breeze and comfortable back seat were like heaven. It was late August and hot. We were moving along pretty well, about 75mph when the limit was 55.

Then they said they just stole the car! I was going to ask to be let out but it was too late. We were surrounded by state troopers and were pulled over and were face down, handcuffed, and told we would be shot if we moved. At the jailhouse in Ocala, they didn't believe my story of riding a bike all the way from Tampa to Jacksonville. They pegged me as the ringleader. The two kids who stole the wagon did it at gun point from a little old lady. They must have thrown the gun out, I never saw it. All I had in my wallet was my ID and the receipt for my bike. That's the only thing that saved me from getting arrested. They called the bike shop down in Dunedin to verify the receipt. After 3 or 4 hours I was back on the road again.
Wow, that is quite the story!

Latest posts

Back