Ride every single day!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm going to ride every single day, at least 5 miles, usually 12 miles, until I get down to 180 lbs. I'm at 220 now. I've tried all the other weight loss ideas, but this is probably the easiest solution I have thought of yet. I've put in 12 miles 3 days in a row and I figure it'll take me 2 months to get to my target weight. Riding around here is fun also, either the beach or the base which is pretty secluded. And I'll use the Baldwin Rail Trail on the weekends. I put some small apes and a comfort seat on my old Schwinn, that'll probably be my main bike for this endeavor.

dr789j.jpg

Yep...I hear you bro...I'm in the same boat floating anywhere around 212-220 pounds, depending on what I just ate and what I'm wearing that day. I'm just waiting on a new seat to arrive in the mail :roll:

Go for it!

One thing I found is riding (more or less) every day, it seemed I had lost about all I was going to, and to lose any more, I needed to eat less, or at least, eat less fattening food. So there's no guarantee that riding X miles per day will get you to the weight you want if you don't do anything else different. (What really happens is that if you just eat when you get hungry, then when you exercise more, you'll probably eat more. So you lose weight, but maybe not as much as you'd expect.)

I also find varying opinions of how riding should be scheduled. Riding every single day is not too hard if the time and distance isn't too long. But whether it's better to ride 15 miles every day or 30 miles every other day or what, is a different matter. People that are seriously training will usually have some rest days in their schedules as well. I find that I feel the best if I have an extra-hard day's ride followed by a rest day or two.

One website that I find helpful for motivation is http://www.bikejournal.com. It lets me track my milage for the year, and compare to other people, track average speed, etc. I'm "GlacierChaser" on the forums, there, by the way.

The bicycle is basically a labor-saving devide, and sometimes, I think people get in a mental trap when using it for exercise. It's tempting to reason "I should walk 5 miles every day, but that's too hard, so I'll bicycle 5 miles and somehow get the same benefit." But to lose weight by cycling, you need to be putting some effort into it, not just moseying around. Moseying around is better than nothing, but tearing around the neighborhood is better. Speaking of which, get a speedometer if you don't have one. The $10 or $12 ones work pretty well- do a roll-out test to calibrate them. It lets you keep track of your milage and speed for each ride better.

I find that it's easy to find excuses not to exercise. In my area, it's too hot 3/4 of the year, and the rest of the time, it's too cold, too dark, too wet, too windy, or something. And to keep on a program, you just have to get out and do it anyway. A good headlight helped me a lot. Don't be afraid to upgrade your bike as you go along, too.

I started riding 3 or 4 years ago, and have lost 50 or 60 lbs, and could probably stand to lose another 40 or so. I started off riding 10 miles a day around the local bike trails. I got into riding the charity rides, did my first Century (on a single speed cruiser), and have now started randonneuring. A couple of weeks ago, I did my longest ride to date, a 305k, or 192 miles in 15 hours. My milage goal for the year was 6,000 miles, and I got that in a couple of weeks ago, and am still going.

Combine your increase in physical activity with eating smaller amounts more often (6-8 snacks a day) rather than two or three big meals. That's the best way to jump-start your metabolism, and get your body used to burning those calories rather than storing them for long periods between meals.

StephenH said:
Go for it!

One thing I found is riding (more or less) every day, it seemed I had lost about all I was going to, and to lose any more, I needed to eat less, or at least, eat less fattening food. So there's no guarantee that riding X miles per day will get you to the weight you want if you don't do anything else different. (What really happens is that if you just eat when you get hungry, then when you exercise more, you'll probably eat more. So you lose weight, but maybe not as much as you'd expect.)

I also find varying opinions of how riding should be scheduled. Riding every single day is not too hard if the time and distance isn't too long. But whether it's better to ride 15 miles every day or 30 miles every other day or what, is a different matter. People that are seriously training will usually have some rest days in their schedules as well. I find that I feel the best if I have an extra-hard day's ride followed by a rest day or two.

One website that I find helpful for motivation is http://www.bikejournal.com. It lets me track my milage for the year, and compare to other people, track average speed, etc. I'm "GlacierChaser" on the forums, there, by the way.

The bicycle is basically a labor-saving devide, and sometimes, I think people get in a mental trap when using it for exercise. It's tempting to reason "I should walk 5 miles every day, but that's too hard, so I'll bicycle 5 miles and somehow get the same benefit." But to lose weight by cycling, you need to be putting some effort into it, not just moseying around. Moseying around is better than nothing, but tearing around the neighborhood is better. Speaking of which, get a speedometer if you don't have one. The $10 or $12 ones work pretty well- do a roll-out test to calibrate them. It lets you keep track of your milage and speed for each ride better.

I find that it's easy to find excuses not to exercise. In my area, it's too hot 3/4 of the year, and the rest of the time, it's too cold, too dark, too wet, too windy, or something. And to keep on a program, you just have to get out and do it anyway. A good headlight helped me a lot. Don't be afraid to upgrade your bike as you go along, too.

I started riding 3 or 4 years ago, and have lost 50 or 60 lbs, and could probably stand to lose another 40 or so. I started off riding 10 miles a day around the local bike trails. I got into riding the charity rides, did my first Century (on a single speed cruiser), and have now started randonneuring. A couple of weeks ago, I did my longest ride to date, a 305k, or 192 miles in 15 hours. My milage goal for the year was 6,000 miles, and I got that in a couple of weeks ago, and am still going.
How was a that 100 mile ride on a single speed cruiser?

Ive lost 70 lbs since Jan 1st. and feel sooo much better!

How I did it... I dont recommend this to anyone but I REALLY limited my caloric intake, while trying to lose weight I would try and limit my daily intake to 1000 calories or less. I was eating lots of bananas, fiber bars, pineapple, drank LOTS of water!

Since the first of the year I can count on one hand how many cheeseburgers Ive had, actually one finger. Dont drink pop anymore either, water is plenty fine.

I also rode my bike at least three times a week for about seven miles per trip. And I was adding in a mile walk during my lunch break.

I still need to lose 15-20 to get to my goal, Im pretty sure I can get it done before the year is over.

Good luck!

The 100-mile ride on the cruiser was slow and hot, otherwise okay. I actually did 5 centuries on that bike, a Worksman cruiser. I did the Hotter-n-heck 100 in Wichita Falls twice, which is a fairy flat century. That took 9 to 9-1/2 hours or so. I did a 211k brevet, about 130 miles, which seems like it took 12 or 12-1/2 hours. I did a 160k permanent, about 107 miles, and don't remember how long that took. And I did a self-supported century down in Duval County which took 11 hours or so. But I also tried a couple of 200k rides that I wasn't able to finish, and switched to a Raleigh Sojourn for the longer rides. That took me from about 9 hours on the Hotter-n-heck 100 to 7:06 this last year.

That Worksman is geared 2:1, which is handy on the hills or in the wind, but slow on the flats or with a tailwind.

OP,

I'd set a somewhat more realistic goal of 5 days a week. That way if it rains, you get sick, whatever, you are still making your goal. And it's not a shabby goal. If it's feasible to ride to work, you'll be well on your way. It's about how fast you're moving in addition to how far you're going. I suspect that sprinting from one mile works you more than cruising for five.

<derail>
Glad to see that somebody else is into long rides. My first century was the Colorado Tour de Cure this August. I'm seriously considering a super rando series for next season.
</derail>

I hear you. I'm 53 and could stand to shed a few pounds too. More riding...less beer...sorry Budweiser.

My Garmin GPS in my truck has a feature that allows me to track time, speed, distance, average speed, etc. Right now I reset the parameters and put it in my pocket before I hit the road. I'm looking at figuring out how to mount it "in view" while I'm riding. Riding is a better alternative to running I believe because of the sharp impact to the knees and ankles associated with the pavement hitting the bottom of your feet. Here's something else to try. Slightly bent pedals provide a lateral twisting motion to your ankles.

I think the biggest thing to remember is to not give in to the temptation to coast. I believe you can do your body the same measure of good no matter what type of bike you ride. A $1,000.00 ultra-light road bike, or a balloon tire beach cruiser...it doesn't matter, you'll just cover less territory that's all. Get your heartrate up, increase respiration, work your muscles and break out in a sweat...it's all good.

I'm trying too!

Wildcat said:
I'm going to ride every single day, at least 5 miles, usually 12 miles, until I get down to 180 lbs. I'm at 220 now. I've tried all the other weight loss ideas, but this is probably the easiest solution I have thought of yet. I've put in 12 miles 3 days in a row and I figure it'll take me 2 months to get to my target weight. Riding around here is fun also, either the beach or the base which is pretty secluded. And I'll use the Baldwin Rail Trail on the weekends. I put some small apes and a comfort seat on my old Schwinn, that'll probably be my main bike for this endeavor.

dr789j.jpg

Go for it brother! Keep us posted on your progress. There's TONS of support here!

Cheers!
Dr. T

i've lost around 30 pounds since i started riding somewhat regularly over a year ago. i still eat too much, though. i set small goals and did it over a long period of time, but i've lost and kept it off and it feels good!

lot of good advice and encouraging words in this thread. good luck to all those getting healthier through biking!

i'm with ya buddy!!!!

*hiding chocolate donut*

well... in spirit anyway. sitting at about 210 myself. the problem i'm having is i used to be the "eat anything and stay rail thin" type. i have a hard time even thinking about food control, and even when i did it was trying to purposely eat more. i do need to exercise more though. either get back to running or bike a little more.

I ride almost everyday for about 6-7 miles. Sometimes 10+ miles...still at 250 though...was at 277! :shock: Back in the day before I was married I was under 200. Being married makes ya fat. Not to mention all the Indian/Korean/Japanese/Chinese/Vietnamese food I consume...I love food. Seems my weight is "stuck" at 250. But I feel better than before since I've been back on the saddle. :mrgreen:

Cool deal! I need to get out more myself. When I looked at the pic, first thing I thought was "base housing" :lol: I used to live in Va. Beach, though they've replaced most of the older stuff. -Adam

If you've got a passion for it you'll start shaving weight off without even thinking about it. I started riding a bike again a couple springs ago for the same reason, had gained about 40lbs sitting in my office chair all day, and by the time October rolled around that first year I had lost at least 25lbs and didn't even care about the weight anymore, just wanted to get out and ride all the time. The only suggestions I'd make are, 1. Change up your diet at least a little; look for stuff that you would consider the worst offenders to your health and consider cutting at least some of them out as well as cutting back on serving size just a little. 2. When you go to ride, especially if you're only doing 5-10 miles, push yourself hard at least twice a week.

I've already given up red meat for my cholesterol level. No more bacon and eggs every morning, it's been oatmeal with bananas for the last month. I just remembered my trip overseas in a few weeks, but I will try to find a bike to ride in the Philippines while I'm there. This photo is from when I visited there in 1982, about 80lbs ago!

n1dxsg.jpg

Back