ReVo's builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Figured I would start things off here with some of the work I have done so far...

First off is my baby, my 65 Schwinn Typhoon. After starting the build I realized that I wanted to do more than just restore it. So I did what I wanted and went crazy. 6 months later the Night Hawk was born...

This is what she looked like when I bought her... A heap!
2uhe5uha.jpg

ahaqyzeh.jpg

I tore it into a million pieces and started work on a tank that I found at my old family farm. It was off a jc higgins girls bike so with some sheet metal, a welder, and some bondo I converted it to fit.

a4ebazud.jpg

u8ezu7ug.jpg

5u2a2yve.jpg

Next I acquired a set of fenders off a 50s hornet dx and a matching delta torpedo which I converted to led.

y5ynyhy9.jpg

uzuze2un.jpg

Test fit... I opted to buying a new wheelset so I got a weinmann alloy set with stainless spokes and a shimano nexus three speed
u2agy7aq.jpg

Got the fenders finished... Added a delta inertia brake light to the rear.
ysajeden.jpg
4epuhera.jpg

Finished the rear rack with a coat of bedliner and a delta taillight.
aqu3aqa4.jpg

Added some custom made truss rods to her...
zujevaje.jpg

Finally got her all done minus decals
y3y8yjy2.jpg

y9udepa2.jpg

tubedade.jpg
5yhube6a.jpg
evu9ybab.jpg
pehyse5u.jpg

~Ron~

Last edited:
Thank you very much! It was only my second build. I will post pics of my girlfriend's bike soon. =D

~Ron~

Here is my girlfriend's 73 huffy American Tour that her parents bought for her at an auction for 5 bucks... It has since been renamed the pink tsunami. I don't have any before pics since this I restored this in a two week time span for her birthday last year... I cleaned up the chrome and repainted the oe wheels plus I got her new pedals. I added the front and rear racks and some oversize 2.125 whitewalls for that beach cruiser vibe. She also loves hello kitty so I added some of that as well as a pink chain and grips!

upu9u2y8.jpg

upu2ysup.jpg

y3asede7.jpg

a4egezu5.jpg

ytebureb.jpg

~Ron~

1973 Huffy Sportsman with a Tokheim 5speed interposer. My latest project is all finished up!
ymy6anu8.jpg
2a2avy2u.jpg
a5y3e8uh.jpg
a3atu3uj.jpg

A perfectly good huffy sea pines died to breath new life into this rarity. For 15 bucks I wasn't gonna complain! I still have parts left over from this if anyone is interested...
9e9e5ave.jpg
abyby4e2.jpg

I found a close to original seat on feebay for 5 bucks.
9e3umu8y.jpg
jyruju8a.jpg

This is how I acquired it from my best friend as a Christmas gift...
e4ahu4y3.jpg

For those of you who don't know about the Tokheim interposer system here is a tidbit of information on it...
urynume4.jpg
epuhara7.jpg
vajusedy.jpg
bagavyvu.jpg
taju6e7a.jpg

The Tokheim Gear Maker recieved a U.S. patent, under the name of Mr. Guilbert M. Hunt in 1972. It was the creation of Tokheim Corporation while the company was in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Shifting is acheived through changing the rear driving sprocket size by lifting the chain by a series of studs. The effective diameter would increase and decrease the gearing.
It was made in Fort Wayne Indiana in 1973-74. In this system the chain is not derailled in the sense that occurs on cassette style derailleur bikes. Rather, the chain is lifted up and away form the hub to one of four possible diameters. The chain does not move sideways over different cogs to do this. A series of blocks called "drive segments" are be moved in and out of a rotating plate or disc by the shifting mechanism. A twist grip shifter has five possible detentions. The fifth gear is a regular sprocket, and the other four gears use the block system. The mechanism to accomplish this was called the interposer rather than a derailleur. I'm pretty sure that the Tokheim company still exists. They have been around since the early 1900s and build fuel pumps. If you want more info or just to see how it works for yourself here is a link...

http://www.parktool.com/blog/calvins-corner/tokheim-shifting-system

~Ron~

Back