REVIEW OF CROWN CYCLES' "heck ON WHEELS" CRUISER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The good folks at Crown Cycles sent me one of their bikes to examine and test out. It came yesterday via UPS and I ended up putting it together last night after I got the kiddos to bed.

This particular model comes in a really cool looking flat red oxide primer and sports the classic straight bar frame design. It's a well built bike that rides very smoothly and quietly. They paid attention to detail with the Crown logos on the neck tube, chainguard and back of the seat. The bobbed fender out back, black rims and the cool chain ring are the icing on the cake.

Overall I'd say it was a pretty sweet bike that will definitely stand out in a crowd. Vintage looks with a new cruiser feel and ride.

You can see all of the models that Crown Cycles offers at their website: http://www.crowncycleco.com

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

I like that bike. I've primered items in the past and thought ..Hmmm, that looks good enough to stop right now. But to me, it just don't feel done until there's a color coat on it. I know opinions will vary. If that's the way the manufacturer sells it , it must be the type of primer that is intended to be used as a top coat ? Still looks like a good bike.

Yeah...I think it is actually just a matte finish red oxide paint that mimics the look of primer.

It has a really nice smooth suede looking finish.

i like the all black wheels on that thing, seems that Crown is decent on prices too, i was expecting to see somethin higher price wise, pleasant surprise :D unfortunatley i have no shortage of bikes at my place at the moment.

It's a fairly lightweight bike compared to the old Schwinn cruisers.

As far as pedaling goes....pretty much your typical single speed coaster brake feel.

I'm a bit biased though since I run Nexus hubs on everything...we've got hills in my neighborhood. :D

I actually stumbled across their website a few weeks back when they posted something in our local craigslist bike section. I really enjoyed their site and looking at their bikes and really hope they start pushing out rats like those to become a big name. Cheap and nice, that's something you don't find easily in a manufactured bike. Anyways, can't wait to see the rest of their site when they get it finished... especially the bikes they don't have up and their "parts" section as well.

sensor said:
ahhhhhhhhh the perks of having a great site :mrgreen:
is this a production model or just one sent out before they mass produce?

Yes...they had to pay for the banner ad somehow...ha ha. :lol:

This is a production model...can be ordered off their site today.

Very nice bike. The red oxide color is great!

Re: REVIEW OF CROWN CYCLES' "h*** ON WHEELS" CRUISER

I like the welded kickstand reminicent of the Schwinns and others.

It's nice to have a bike that isnt to production looking, yet not junk looking. If that makes sense.

with flat black being played out so much these days, red primer is looking really good again. that is a sweet bike.

Ya very nice bikes! and great prices!

not sure if I should be flattered or accused of copying but that HollyWood Hot Rod is the same colour as my Pic"n"nic cruiser great colour choice guys!!! :mrgreen:

nice bikes! :D

FW

I WANT THAT HOLLYWOOD HOTRODS BIKE!

Anyone own one of these bikes?? Kind of curious on your overall opinion of the bike. How does it compare to say an Electra or Nirve in ride and feel??

I really like the look of Crown's bikes. Nice looking and a little understated. Very cool. heck on Wheels reminds me of somethign...

57tornado.jpg

Maybe it's the other way around, I dunno...

I really do like all the black and the graphics with the little "brass" accents. Very cool for a new bike.

Back