Reverse Clunker? (Mean Green Tailgating Rig)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've gathered it my time lurking here, a clunker is a cruiser turned mountain bike... right? What about a mountain bike gone cruiser style?

With my search for a proper cruiser bike yielding no returns I decided to gobble up this ugly old Huffy sitting by the dumpster at my apartment complex.
IMG_0217.jpg

Saw hundreds of these growing up and always thought they were hideous (still do.)

First thing I did was swap out the crappy bars for a set my girlfriend decided she didn't want on the Higgins I'm building for her. Next I removed the front derailleur, cable and shifter to tidy things up a bit. To keep the flow of the bars clean I moved the remaining shifter to the frame and shortened the cable.
IMG_0218.jpg

To further tidy this up I drilled the frame to hide as much the remaining cable as possible (no photo of this yet as it got kinda dark on me.)

Re: Reverse Clunker?

I'm thinking different pedals, sprocket and seat. Maybe flat or kelly green with white wheels/tires. Might still do away with the front brakes to dispense with yet another ugly cable. I wanna keep this build as cheap and quick as possible as I'm not really in love with the bike and the girlfriend is already jealous seconds of my time are not being spent on "her" Higgins.

HEY YA CWAZY WRATTER DID YA PAINT THOS RIMS WITHE TIRES STILL ON!!?! :shock: NICE :mrgreen: PEACE

Green P1 said:
Yea. The tires are dry rotted trash.... but I'd like to ride it up until the point the new ones arrive.
So they got some paint.

The rest of the bike got painted this morning. Pics to follow at some point.

I like your free, rat spirit, well done! :wink:

The bike is green and back together.... somewhat.
IMG_0227.jpg

It actually rides pretty well with everything cleaned/greased up. Waiting on the white tires in the mail, and still not sure what I'm going to so about the sprocket/pedals/seat. I want to keep this build as low $$$ as possible but those three are just too hideous to stay.

I've already laid the bike on its side riding with my dog leashed, but luckily my butt, leg, and pride bore the brunt of the crash. Only thing that will need touching up is the left brake handle and my wrist.....

Reverse Clunker! I love it.

I'm no authority on it, but the chain you'll need will depend on whether or not you're going with a single sprocket/chain wheel setup. It looks like you intend to keep the rear derailleur intact, so stick with the 3/32" chains. If you decide you want to go single speed or internally geared hub, you can use either 1/8" or 3/32".

Got bored tonight and decided the chrome bars were just not doing it for me. As an electrician I've got an unlimited supply of colored electrical tape and decided to wrap them. Started with green but was informed that it didn't match the paint at all.... I'm colorblind. I think the neutral looks pretty alright though.
IMG_0229.jpg

Ordered some white pedals tonight... didn't think about it until just now so I guess I have to hope the threads are the right size. crap
http://www.amazon.com/Eastern-Bikes-Rei ... B003BN78GM

Ive also decide it has to have a rack for the transportation of a cooler to UNT's new football stadium on Saturdays this fall.

My tires finally showed up. I think they really fix the look of it all.

bike.jpg

I stopped buy a garage sale a couple days ago that had the exact same mountain bike for $20... I offered $4 for the little chain guard cover and he accepted. I think it will end my search for a new chain ring for at least a little while.

The new pedals and rack should show up this week and almost complete the look. I think my favorite part about this build is that absolutely everything can be transferred if/when I find a frame I like more.

Those tires really tied everything together! Looks great, and I love the idea of a reverse klunker! :)

Got the rack painted and mounted today. Here's how she'll look on gamedays.

IMG_0254-1.jpg

Here's a better shot of the rear with the rack and license plate I modified.

IMG_0256.jpg

If the dang pedals had fit I think it might be just about done(if I could ever call a project done.) Still looking to add some decals and a badge of some sort.

Back