Retro Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The workday is over! :D
Here's the bike with the fenders and chainguard. I'll weld on attachments for the fenderbraces some day soon, probably monday...
mockup2.jpg

Oh, and I'll cut off the front fender a bit to make it level with the rear fender. I think that'll be nice...

I think the fenders look great the way they are. :D If you don't build these professionally, you should seriously consider it. You obviously have some serious talent at this, and that bicycle is just beautiful. I've been watching this one for a while. :mrgreen:

Thanks! I don't know what to say, I really didn't know what reactions to expect when I started posting here. I just wanted to try and make bikes the way I thought they would look nice, and I didn't know what others would think about it. I'm really glad that you like it! All your kind words, comments and suggestions really inspire! This forum is pretty unique! Thank you so much!

About the fenders, I put the braces on and take a photo and see what you think...and what I think too for that matter! :D I wouldn't want to cut the front fender too much because then it wouldn't be functional. It's a bit of a balancing act, what looks good and what's functional...maybe I don't have to cut it at all. :)

Thank you again!

Nope, haven't ridden it yet. As soon as I've put on all the gearshifting...eh..stuff, I'll take it for a test ride! :) I hope that it's a comfortable bike!

Here's what I've done since last time:

On sunday I made the cover for the shifter. Here are the parts just cut out.
vxelspak3.jpg

Switched off my brain and went to work with the Dremel where the sides of the cover would be bent....but on the wrong side. :roll:
vxelspak4.jpg

Made a new one and bent it the right way.
vxelspak6.jpg

Turned out like this
vxelspak7.jpg

vxelspak8.jpg

I didn't like how it looked when I put it on the handlebar, because the shifter will be right on a bend and it looked too pointed. Might have looked better if I could have placed it on a straight part of the handlebar, but that wasn't really possible. So I made the cover a little rounder
vxelspak10.jpg

vxelspak9.jpg

All that work to make a cover that looks almost identical to the original one! :lol: But I have a little idea about how I'm going to decorate it to give it a more exlusive look. I'll get back to that...

Yesterday I started cutting sheetmetal for the rear fender-brace
skrmplt3.jpg

skrmplt2.jpg

and bent it around a piece of pipe.
skrmplt1.jpg

Today I welded on attachments for the fenderbraces, both front and rear. Here's the mockup. Barely made it before it got dark.
mockup3.jpg

Now, I'm not sure I'll keep that rear fender-brace. I'm thinking of putting a regular one on and redo that thing to only hold the rear light, have to think about it a little... I'll leave the front fender as it is. :)

That's where I'm at for the moment.
All well!

Man this is one sweet looking bike and you are one talented fabricator. I especially like the seat. I can't wait to see the light finished.

"you are one talented fabricator..."

An understatement! :D

I too can't wait to see the light.

Nice seat.Ever try leather tooling?

Gold Street Customs said:
Just my idea but colors I see are Royal blue with white accents maybe lined in red...just a thought 8)
I've been thinking about a twotone silver and red paint for this bike. But if I try that and it doesn't look good I might very well go with your suggestion! I think Royal blue would look good with the colours of the seat! :) Thank you!

Smellslike1974 said:
Ever try leather tooling?

Yes! When I was a kid I would often make things in my mother's workshop. Not just with leather but also different textiles. I've really been fortunate that way, because when I wanted to try and make something she often had the tools for it, and the knowledge. :) The most recent thing I've made from leather was a belt with beadwork and a raven's head-design and wings. I thought of making the seat for this bike in leather, but I decided to make it from vinyl because I wanted it to be more weatherproof. I also know how to croshet...how manly! :lol:

Flame Jigger said:
I can't wait to see the light finished.
Unchained said:
I too can't wait to see the light.

I see the light!! :D Well, not really but I started to fabricate the rear light today. Didn't manage to get all of it done before I had to go to work. It turned out to be quite a challenge with the beanshaped design, but I hope it'll be nice when it's finished. I'll post photos as soon as it's done! Hopefully I'll find a way to tie it together with the fenderbrace-design when I've altered that a little. :)

ratina said:
WOW how did I miss this build??

Maybe because there are so many other good looking bikes on this site! :) Thank you so much, I'm glad you like it! :D

And thank you all for all the kind words, I really appreciate it! :D

Here's what I've done with the rear light so far. It's not finished, but you get an idea of what it will look like...
baklykta1.jpg

Now I'll go and stitch some more...I have a plan... :wink:

Oh man that bag and seat go together great!

My next project is gonna have a leather seat too.I'm dying mine to look like a faded saddle and letting my brother tool it for me.

You do great work with leather,

but i want some pics of the crocheying. :lol:

Smellslike1974 said:
...but i want some pics of the crocheying. :lol:

I bet you do!! :lol: I'll see what I can find...

Glad you like the seat and bag! I'm happy with the result! :) I'm looking forward to seeing your seat when it's done, sounds like it'll be a nice one!
Oh, and by the way, this seat and bag is made with fake leather (vinyl covered fabric) but it looks almost like real leather.

Thank you!

(Sssshhhhh,People dont know that) :wink:

I have an old leather seat on my Bel Air,swapped it from an older 3 Speed Omega. :lol:

Smellslike1974 said:
(Sssshhhhh,People dont know that) :wink:

I'll have to learn to keep my mouth shut! :lol:
Got any pictures of the Bel Air and the seat? Don't know what kind of bike that is...but I'm making progress, since I found this site I now know what a Schwinn is! :lol:

Haven't done too much with the racer the last couple of days, went to visit an old friend over the weekend. And I've bought a 10-speed bike with 28" wheels and drumbrakes on both wheels !! I've been looking for that for my next build. Right on!! :D
Anyway, all I've had time to do is to weld on two tiiiiny brackets for the rearfender, not much to show photos of. Probably won't have time to get much done tomorrow either, but on wednesday I'll build like crazy! :)

I've been planning on building a workshop, and today he who'll help me build it came and looked at where it's going to be. We'll start working on it very soon, and I'm really excited about it! First time I'll take part in building a house! :D

I'll post more photos as soon as I make progress on the bike!

Back