Retro looking LED headlight??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any good LED-based retro looking headlights for cruisers? I am looking for the retro look but with good, bright LED lighting.

If you have a standard headlight like you are looking for then it can be converted over quite easily. I just did one for a friend.

32 led flashlight from Harbor Freight for $5.99
A small toggle switch from Radio Shack for $2.79
Some scrap wire and a soldering iron and here is what you end up with.
57580225.jpg

Ditto on the "do it yourself" posts. I bought a ten pack of flashlights from HomeDepot for $10. I'm not sure you can even get the 30 AAA batteries that came with it for that price. I took five of them apart and placed them inside the reflector after drilling holes for the wires to thread thru to the back. They don't all point in the exact right direction but that helps to provide a wider lighted path! :mrgreen: Anyway, although it looks grotesque when off, it's amazingly bright at night. And it matches the bike better than anything new:
MonarkButterflyer087.jpg

MonarkButterflyer088.jpg

Oh yeah, and I converted the batteries from packs of AAA to an 8 pack of AAs since 5 packs of AAAs wouldn't have fit. All that and more is at Radio Shack. If I can do it, anyone can!

udallcustombikes said:
... Some scrap wire and a soldering iron and here is what you end up with.
57580225.jpg

Yup, but for novices like me, some scrap wire and TOO MUCH solder, this is what you end up with!!! :mrgreen:
The pic doesn't do it justice. How in the world can something so small hurt so daggone much!
SolderFinger003.jpg

Egads Cameron! That's just nasty! Turned my stomach, man!
My apologies to McKinney for the two of us highjacking his thread and turning it into gore-fest! :)

Now I kinda wish I would have taken a pic of last month's slip up. I was using a wire wheel on a high speed drill and somehow caught the end of the latex gloves I had on. The latex wrapped around the wheel in a split second and pulled my hand into the spinning wheel. I learned quickly how much softer my skin is than rusty chrome and metal!!! You know it's bad when you have to put the drill in reverse to unwind the wheel off your hand! :lol:

Back