Repost: Christmas bike for my neighbor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor's wife really likes some of the old bikes I have been riding around this summer so the husband asked if I could get one for a Christmas surprise for his wife. I went to the bike barn and decided to look for a middleweight. There are a ton of old women's heavyweights but I don't have the time before the holiday to fix one up (repaint, etc). Plus, she might get tired out riding a heavier bike. I spotted this one and dragged it out this weekend. I have a couple of questions. I am assuming that it is a Fleetwing brand, Mercury model. Because Mercury (brand) made a Fleetwing model. I figure it is early sixties. It is a Murry of Ohio made bike. Saw that on the wheels. I dig the front spaceship! This thing will clean up really nice. All the chrome is just surface rust and very few nicks on the frame. I paid a tad more than I wanted due to it being a betty and a sixties bike but it was in good shape for $100. My neighbor will pay me anyway. Whatta you thinks guys. PS.: I will follow up with a cleanup photo when I get done. Brian

Photos were there last night. We'll try this again.

DSC_3462.jpg

DSC_3455.jpg

DSC_3457.jpg

DSC_3461.jpg

I have a couple of questions. I am assuming that it is a Fleetwing brand, Mercury model. Because Mercury (brand) made a Fleetwing model. I figure it is early sixties. It is a Murry of Ohio made bike.
I think Fleet Wing was a badge for a certain store, as there were a lot of CWC built F'wings from the late 30s - 40s. Murray had a Mercury badge also in the 30s, but used the name on mid-late 50s middleweights too. -Adam

Back