Repop Schwinn Straight bar frames???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hotdang, that's cheap! They got completes, too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-R...-Bicycle-26-/281728260646?hash=item4198501a26

The "China" thing doesn't bother me that much, just b/c my first thought on that was "who else?" And, the very obvious TIG welds seem like a good thing to me, as they'll make it harder for scammers trying to pass these off as "the real deal". But aluminum? I agree with Luke; that's a total fail. I avoid aluminum frames regardless, but aluminum combined with the skinny, small-diameter tubing we see here? That's a recipe for disaster, whether you're klunkin' it or just riding around the 'hood. I'd never buy one, but I did find the auctions interesting. Thanks for posting.

I like... Sooner or later most everything gets Repoped !

~Rafael~

_12_zps7kzczyor.jpg
This is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was almost excited to see these, thinking they would be perfect Klunker fodder...
Then I saw they were made in China and made out of Aluminium...

Luke.
Aluminum is not a bad thing just depends on the welds of course . Lighter is faster and easier on the climbers for sure . Maybe just some reinforcing or some gussets would do the trick . Most high end mountain bikes are aluminum .

Aluminum is not a bad thing just depends on the welds of course . Lighter is faster and easier on the climbers for sure . Maybe just some reinforcing or some gussets would do the trick . Most high end mountain bikes are aluminum .

Totally agree GMatt, but as others have said, small diameter tubing and low end welding adds to the risk of failure.

If this was made by a high end company with warranty and a history of quality it might be a different story.

Luke.

Google search BB adapter or BB conversion kit.

Totally agree GMatt, but as others have said, small diameter tubing and low end welding adds to the risk of failure.

If this was made by a high end company with warranty and a history of quality it might be a different story.

Luke.

Luke,

you would be surprised at how many brands all get made in the same factory. Same factory that welds up 2000 dollar MTB frames could also be making these, the welders don't discriminate it will come down to raw material.

Luke.

1" diameter aluminum tubing for a bike frame? I don't care what grade of aluminum it is, what the welds are like, who made it, or what warranty is offered; it ain't gonna hold up to use.

I don't really like aluminum for bike frames, but i can't deny that well-made 6061 or better aluminum frames, with O/S tubing, have a solid standing as a viable option for bikes. This repro straightbar frame, otoh, seems likely to fold.

I have broken every single aluminum high end MTB frame I owned within one year. Every single one, gusseted, big tube, little tube, it didn't matter who or where it was made, or who stamped the tubeset. Seat tubes, down tubes, top tubes, chain stays, swing-arms, linkages and bead welds. The only place on an alu. frame I have not broken was the seat stays. Yet, I have NEVER broken a prewar high-mileage steel American-made frame,(road only disclaimer) and only ONE old american single-piece steel crankset. I trust steel. Steel is real my rat friends..
I luckily found this soon-to-fail linkage on my Ibis when cleaning it...
IMG_2391_zps7mys8aqf.jpg

Last edited:
Back