Replacing rubber bushing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where to start looking for a replacement shock absorber on my pre-war Hiawatha.
b8f1982a57f8cfd13d3db35c0649667e.jpg
6da482aeba652bc90a99db29bb9bb834.jpg
pics don't show it the best

Ace and some of the other hardware stores have a variety of rubber bushings, in shelves that pull out. I don't recall if they are big enough? Perhaps a marine shop, boat repair? As a last resort how about using an old car tire and hole saw to cut your own? Build it up in layers, use rubber cement to bond washers of rubber together if that is what it takes. good luck.

Someone just sent me a link that has exactly what I need. Definitely appreciate the pointers. I want to get this fork to function like it did in the 30s, so that I get the full experience.

Ace and some of the other hardware stores have a variety of rubber bushings, in shelves that pull out. I don't recall if they are big enough? Perhaps a marine shop, boat repair? As a last resort how about using an old car tire and hole saw to cut your own? Build it up in layers, use rubber cement to bond washers of rubber together if that is what it takes. good luck.
Boy, that is a fine example of god old American craftsmanship. Beautiful. I would also want to bring it back.

measure the outside diameter, inside diameter and thickness and I'll go through my catalogs. Probably an easy find through McMaster Carr or Grainger

I will do. Gonna try to disassemble now that I'm to that point. Looking down tube and it appears there might be a rusty spring in there. Gonna have to spray some PB and wait.

Last edited:
That's awesome. Interesting that you say you don't usually see this fork on Hiawatha. Maybe that will help me find exact year on this bike. It's a gambles but I know there was a gambles/Shelby transition somewhere in there. Time for some more research with new info

f9730c9acdc49a8db463e6e844ec252a.jpg
660972a978ab189f2f8f318dc307ea65.jpg
paint wasn't original and all I could pick out on it was a blue stripe on fenders

Back