replace spoke nipples

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i want to replace the spoke nipples on a set of wheels, where can I get them and how are they measured so i can get the right ones?
I attempted to true up an old set of steel wheels, first problem I ran into, I couldn't find the right spoke wrench. the nipples measured .141", every wrench I saw online was too small. I bought the blue park, I think it is .150" it worked ok on some, but there were a few that were stubborn and it would up rounding them out. I was able to get the front rim pretty close, but now the nipples are all beat up. the spokes are thick, the wheels were from a tandem. im thinking 12g ill have to meaure them.

Everyone faces this problem with old wheels....The threads tend to seize up when
exposed to time, and when you try to tighten or loosen, the spoke twists, and the
nipple rounds out...
My solution (which is not 100%) is to hit the nipple 1st with a butane torch to
heat up the threads....spray some PB blaster or rust loosener into the spoke nipple
and maybe wait? Hit it with the torch again, then try to move the nipple with your
spoke wrench. You should feel it "break" loose and spin. FYI, they make a "round" steel multi-size spoke wrench which has all the sizes on it. I would buy one right away. If you round out the flats on the nipple, you are pretty much done...you have to replace the nipple. To do this, put a vice-grip on it, and it will usually unscrew it. Replace and go ride!!

+1 on the round multifit spoke keys, spare change on a popular internet auction site if your lbs doesn't carry.

Vice grips work too, or you could try and refile the flats?

From Tapatalk on this stoopid iPhone...

I was surprised park didn't offer the size. What brand is this round multi size tool?
I still am looking for a source for the spoke nipples for larger size spokes.

The round tool I have is unbranded tbh, maybe a US member could help with 'local' branding.

I'm no help for nipple though, don't know anywhere stateside

From Tapatalk on this stoopid iPhone...

Back