Recommend a Klunker style frame...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am trying to build a bike around a set of wheels. I just picked up a killer set of 26" Disc Chris King multi speed wheels with downhill/dirt jump (wider than normal MTB) rims. I like the Klunker style ratrod look and want to build up a bike around them.

Here are some questions:

1- What frame can accommodate rear disc?
2- What frame can accommodate the rear spacing on the CK- I will have to check the size?
3- If it is an older frame, how hard will it be getting a 1" fork with disc brake mounts?
4- If I use an older frame, can I put on a rear derailleur, even with single speed dropouts?
5- What modern day frames are out there that will suit my needs klunker style?

Thanks

I really like the look of Rat Rod's old Ruff Lucky bike he sold, especially the Sunlite springer fork with disc tabs, as well as the Ruff's Lucky interchangeable rear dropouts for disc!

What's your budget? Nothing like that will be cheap or old, unless you have the fab skills to spread an old frame to 135mm, and weld on or otherwise add some disc tabs.... it has been done.
840312d1381627618t-cruiser-thread-069.jpg

You could also hope to find a Kona Humu Deluxe frame, which were disc-ready. A lot of custom and semi-custom options, none cheap. Something like a Retrotec or a Pereira Roaring 29er, if you got the scratch, would be real nice:
IMG_4365-537x402.jpg

Not too long ago, GBP was making disc-ready article one frames. Not sure if they're still offering those... you could hit up RRB member Rev106, and ask...

Genuine Bicycle Products.
Here's a link to a disc version of their Article 1 bmx cruiser:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/17534977@N00/6345266703/ own one of these frames in black, with 110mm rear spacing and v-brake bosses. I know that according to the GBP catalog and BITD on their website, they said they were making disc versions to-order, but that was like 2 years ago, and they may've quit. One of the 2 guys who are GBP is Atomic Paul; he uses this site under the name of Rev106. I've bought 1 of his frames and a few other things; he's a solid guy to work with.

HTH,
Rob

Pretty frame! (GBP disc) Looks like the prewar Elgin/Schwinn, & other straightbar
designs that were so prevalent then. Curved seatpost is nice too. It would be fun to be able to braze disc tabs on a 20's Elgin frame and fork combo with a converted narrow-spacing hub. I have never seen it..

Last edited:
Pretty frame! (GBP disc) Looks like the prewar Elgin/Schwinn, & other straightbar
designs that were so prevalent then. Curved seatpost is nice too. It would be fun to be able to braze disc tabs on a 20's Elgin frame and fork combo with a converted narrow-spacing hub. I have never seen it..
Oh, I think my caption skillz are lacking; the red and black disc bike is a Pereira Roaring 29er.... costs like 5 times what a GBP Article 1 does.... but, dang, is it hott....

Latest posts

Back