Rebar for Bike Frames?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm usually a fan of the strange and unusual bikes and the materials that are used, but these bikes don't even stir any new excitement in me.
As rideable bikes, they would weigh a ton and would probably bend, break or just give an aweful ride.
As art bikes, Really? I'm sorry but I don't see a whole lot of artsy crap spewing out of those bikes.

I don't have a problem with using pieces of rebar to enhance a bike's charateristics but to make a bike that is virtually all rebar is simply a waste of time, material and possibly someone's life.

im wit Chainsaw on this one, even thought they might look ok to some, i think they would be too heavy to be comfortably riden.
but someone once said...beauty is in the eye of the beholder...so to each their own. u gotta give this builder points for trying.

I'd like to see the first one with a second top tube and a tool box type tank - I assume the weight was not a primary consideration. If the rebar is the same diameter as regular bike frame tubing I don't think there is any issue with it bending since the rebar isn't hollow. If the guy knows what he's doing with the welding I'd say go for it. I'd also like to see a springer fork made out of rebar on it too. I actually like the look of this compared to twisted bikes/parts. And as long as you're building it from scratch make it big enough for super huge tires - say 4"! Now I want one.

I used rebar for the upper stays on my burrito. I probably wouldn't use it again though, its soft and bends easy.

schwinnburritosnow.jpg

I saw a guy in a circus once that bent a piece of 1/2 rebar over his head , but I have serious doubts that he could have done it with the 1'' stuff that bike is built out of. All mild steel ,in rod form is easy to bend , but I make chain and seat stays out of 3/4'' solid bar stock and it puts the hurt on my 12 ton hydraulic bender at the end of a tight bend. Thinking about the end of a small tube on a road bike where it hooks on the dropouts is really flimsy, but once welded and with the other tubes supporting it , then it becomes very ridged .

Back