rear wheel makes a high pitched humming sound when coasting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
well yet again I am having rear wheel issues and yet again I turn to you guys my fellow rrbers with my Camaro do not know why I don't just replace that darn wheel.
this time when I ride it and coast I get a high pitched humming noise almost like the tire is rubbing but the tire is not rubbing I have checked numerous times because that was my first thought.
it only does it when I coast when I am pedaling I do not hear it.
I don't know if maybe it is a weight issue? I noticed it when I put my saddlebags on which do add some weight to the bike.
if that is the case does anyone think a heavy duty wheelset like forma worksman or something like that would remedy the issue? or can I save the wheel I know the brakes are severely worn and there is a weird looking clutch like thing on the rear cog when I removed the wheel to regrease the hub I noticed this also occasionally it feels like the wheel is locking up when I'm moving it around in my shop.
any ideas? I am not above replacing the wheel at this point I'm tired of the issues with it
thanks in advance
sean

Sounds like the spring in the clutch cone is whooped, so when you coast, the spring should be disengaging the cone from where it engages the hub shell, but it is only doing that partway. It backs off enough to allow coasting, but i suspect there is drag? That would also explain the noise, b/c the hub shell spins with the wheel, and where it rubs the clutch cone, sound is produced.

Sounds like the spring in the clutch cone is whooped, so when you coast, the spring should be disengaging the cone from where it engages the hub shell, but it is only doing that partway. It backs off enough to allow coasting, but i suspect there is drag? That would also explain the noise, b/c the hub shell spins with the wheel, and where it rubs the clutch cone, sound is produced.
yes there appeas to be some drag I will take it apart and see if I can repair it but I'm at the point where I'm just going to replace the wheel thanks for the advice I will get to that later on to se what I am dealing with

Latest posts

Back