Rear wheel help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about a rear wheel issue. First off it's a standard rim pedal backwards to stop (I'm having a brain fart on the name). When I go to stop it squeals REAL LOUD. Any ideas what it may be? A friend thinks it might be the bearings needing grease.

jermyster said:
I have a question about a rear wheel issue. First off it's a standard rim pedal backwards to stop (I'm having a brain fart on the name). When I go to stop it squeals REAL LOUD. Any ideas what it may be? A friend thinks it might be the bearings needing grease.

Coaster brake hub, it's needs to be greased.

Agree ^

Grease everything inside the hub (brake shoes too)

Soak all of the parts in a can of gas to clean them real good first.

New grease and old grease do not get along.

+1 on repacking the bearings. A hub overhaul is definitely a rite of passage around here. Gas works fine for cleaning, mineral spirits are MUCH less flammable. Member udallcustombikes has done numerous hub rebuilds and has a number of tutorials, send him a pm if you can't find the tutorial to match your hub by searching. If it happens to be a Perry b100 hub or Sturmey Archer i can help. Good luck. 8)

Back